Yeah, it's seriously amazing how evolved and sophisticated marketing has become and the amount of influence it has on our daily lives.
Remember the big drumroll and flurry of activities earlier last month when Windows VISTA rolled out? Gee, even me, this computer dinosaur, got all excited with the countdown and couldn't wait to get my computer outfitted with the lastest Window operating system?
So crazy.............
I can't even say I like computers. I am Chongmal Crazy...........
So, the problem is that I can no longer tell anymore if I really want something, or if someone is making me think I want that something.
Haha - just look at my BYJ stash. After, it's the first few weeks of the Chinese New Year for us, and with spring around the corner, most of us do dwelve a bit into cleaning chores by habit or maybe out of sheer necessity. Looking that at unstable pile, I am reminded of a conversation I had with a friend once before. I told my dear Byj pal that should there be yet another serious earthquake in LA...I'll be safely cushioned by this BYJ avalanche or.....well, at least I'll "go" by being crushed by a mountain of BYJ stuff. Never a good thing no matter how you look at it, but maybe it'll be a soften ride a bit ? seriously kidding again :)
Anyway, here, still looking at the mass of BYJ stuff I've collected (with no where to put, I might add) and I am wondering what percentage of these things really serve a useful purpose in my life? Gosh what could've possessed me to stockpile these. Ya, like I really need so many mufflers in sunny California, and ya, like my poor damaged stomach lining can tolerate that many taster's choice coffee sticks, to name a few. haha - such is a woman's life, isn't it? Yep, for many, shopping is about "the process" rather than what goes in the bag at the end of the day. So I don't know what made me think I needed all this stuff back then, but I guess BYJ things are simply those little "extras" that I reward myself with, rather than any thing I can really "use." I figure that's my own problem though, because I see so many people go about their daily activities fully integrating all these things into their lives and making them useful somehow - like BYJ tags on their bags, BYJ phone strings on their cells, BYJ keychains, BYJ bags to cart their daily groceries to and fro.........you name it. I could never do that, but like I've said, that's my problem of extreme self-consciousness.
Ay....why the long lead in? Who knows? It's kinda a given with me, I guess....
Well, I was sitting here organizing my stuff and keeping busy to pass the time. Why? Coz if I had kept my original plan, well, I should be heading to the airport right around now. Sob, Sob! Yep, was supposed to hop on that red-eye flight tonight to Seoul today but noooooooooooo.............instead I'm sitting here in front of the pc to catch up with my work.
Fortunately, something that I found in my pile cheered me up big time.
Ever seen this?
Since I don't keep up with all the posts and all the websites as well as I used to, you could very well have seen it before (and you may stop here, haha).Hee...anyway, I just bought it at the bazaar section of the EXPO 3 mos ago - remember, at that stall directly facing Key East's where almost everyone was congregated in a shopping frenzy?
You know, I had lost the business card case that my best friend had given me when we graduated together, and I was so desperately looking for a replacement.
And voila............here it was. For the first time in my life, here was a "BYJ thing" that was understated enough for me to use daily in my profession, and it was something I so happen to need as well! All signs pointed to the "BUY" button!
Ah........the great thing is that someone finally gets it right. Like you don't know how many of BYJ's fans are hardworking professionals and can really use stuff like this rather than......let's say.......a talking cup (although it is mightily cute and marvelous cup, the WS mug is). And for those lucky souls that don't work, many of them do need something neat to carry their "BYJ" contact cards in, right?

Anyway, I remember there were 2 versions - a silver and a gold one. Any day of the year, I would generally favor silver, but that day I picked the gold one for reasons you'll see. It's engraved with all those flowers in the front which gives the cold steel case a little more of a softer feminine feel. The little note up there says that this unique chrysanthemum design is supposed to signify "purity, innocence & elegance." You agree?
Actually, if you stop at certain souvenir stations in Korea and especially at the shops in the airports, you will see many similar items made by this company, Kawa. They specialize in producing practical items that blend in some cultural elements from S. Korea. You should look into these if you're stuck about what presents to take home the next time you visit. But those, as nice as they are, are incomparable to this one......................
So why the gold one?
Well, when you swing open the case, the inside of that flap has this etched in the central aspect of it.
Heehee, it's something you know well.I know you're all saying, "OK, nice.........but what's the big whoop???" hahahahah :)
Patience......................!
And now the back side of the case.
See it??? See it?????????S-E-E H-I-M, I mean??????????? :)
Hee, it is oh-so-subtle but so nicely done. The detail is all there if you look hard enough.
Don't believe?
OK, I'll show you.
Just for you, okay? haha.
So, I held a black card up close to create a shadow over it, and whoa, this is what effect you get!
.
.
.
.
Mercy, mercy!Now you see it, now you don't! hahahaha
Can you all understand now why this made me so happy today?
Hee, why need to go to S. Korea, when I can pull him out of my Magic Hat at anytime I please? It's so much more convenient this way! :)
Too bad I only discovered how nice this was after I got home, or I would've gotten a few more for presents.
OK, that's all the show & tell I have today.
Have a great one, everybody!

10 comments:
oh mishio,
I love your business card case, especially that very subtle BYJ image at the back. Is it made out of suede or cloth? You mentioned a steel case, but it doesn't look like metal to me (wondering). The flower design is very elegant though, not too overwhelming. Wow, can't wait to get all these BYJ goodies if I go to Korea.
hehe, too bad I don't work, so no business card. I don't even have a BYJ card, is that what I need when I meet other sisters?
i love that too! how come i didn't see it?
hee.... then again, i don't see alot of things :p
and yea, i know EXACTLY what you mean. me too, can't tell at all that i'm a fan just by looking at me, nothing byj's hanging from me... simply because most of the stuff are just way too blatant and obvious.
this is almost the near-perfect one i've seen so far that i would and would dare carry and use in my daily life :p
will have to open my eyes my next trip to korea :)
p.s. so you're really not going?
p.p.s. chongmal?
hey jaime
Cute, huh? It's all solid hard metal, and no, you don't need to have anything and it's so not customary here in N. America. But in certain parts of Asia, I see that some of my friends (non-fans) use personal contact cards to introduce themselves to others - it's really more handy and classier than little scraps of paper with all your addresses, numbers scribbled on it. So, I think that's how this all evolved - you see many fans carry BYJ contact cards as well. It does make the process easier especially when there are so many language hurdles.
bb,
wouldn't you need like 3 or 4 of those? I thot I remember you writing somewhere about how many versions of cards you have? For all your titles, may I recommend a BYJ briefcase? :)
Brilliant! First time I fancy the business card case. I do mean fancy. A typical boring business card case is now made elegant like a piece of art. With BYJ signature and photo, it is worth collecting. You are going to store it up like a treasure. Good information. Thanks.
hello mishio,
hope this message finds you well. i like the look of this cardholder a lot. nowadays, we often keep all our contact info in the blackberry/mobile. but the gesture of the exchanging business cards at first meeting will be hard to replace by any new tech.
we’re going to keep an eye on this at the lotte dfs in a couple of week’s time. only overnight transit (in & back). The airline is giving us the choice of staying in seoul royal in myeongdong. so if time permits, perhaps a quick visit to gik to try the gorilla menu(gin)
take care, cam
Hi mishio,
Love your business card case as well. All those talk of BYJ collection made me think of the small stash I have. I'm sure mine is smaller cause there's not much going here in the Phil. I still have an unopened can of Ionade, should I drink it and just save the can? And those taster's choice sticks, hahaha....
sorry all for late replies
hi byjglobal-
i'm not very good at selling or promoting stuff, so I don't think I've got any skills that Key East could use. Just happy to show you this nice thing I've picked up.
hi heippieh
glad you like this as well - sounds like your busy life could use one of these!
hi cam!
I personally like the more human touch of a business card myself, but guess you're right, technology is changing much of what we used to do.
oh- such a short stay in Korea this time? too bad!
Do hope you get to visit Lotte Duty Free - there's some new stuff out - more understated wallets and passport cases, etc. As for the card case, it might've been an Expo thing only coz Lotte isn't carrying it as far as I know. But ask to be sure.......
HAVE A NICE TRIP!
Hi marissa,
how've ya been?
big? small? such a relative thing. I just know that there's always someone out there with more stuff than I do - haha, this is how I know I have not entirely veered off the deep end!
me too........what to do with the ionade? the bacchus & rummy? Lotte choco? Don't even want to know what it taste like by now!!!
hee... you sure have a good memory! i've two versions of byj cards, which i hardly give away enough :p
but you're right about the business cards thingy for japan. i believe most of them including the full-time homemakers carry personal contact cards with them :)
so yours is red with flowers?!! hee, somehow didn't quite expect that from you :p
scan and show, pls??
pls pretty pls??
and.... they've more stuff out now? more understated products? wow, that's nice to hear :)
Post a Comment