Friday, April 28, 2006

Scent of...a Man

Cough, cough....kuh, kuh, kuh! Yuck - i just came home to breathe air after enduring an hour of sitting next to this overly perfumed man at the seminar. Soooooo distracting.
Sorry speaker, it's his fault that I retained nothing of what you talked about. Sat there wishing someone would stop the fan from blowing my way!! Oh my poor nose! You know, I am not against men pampering themselves or anything. Ho, ho - it can even be downright an aphrodisiac when fragrances are done right. [mom, don't read :) ] But, scents are so individual. I guess, as is the case with women, moderation is key. Just please don't bathe yourself in it or cause an asthma attack with it. And I guess some guys just wear them better than others. Better body chemistry, maybe?

Well, it's never been clear to me whether YJ-ssi dresses himself with scents or not. Instinctively, I'd guess not...he's been reported to voice his unease over some of the special hair/facial treatments that his stylist recommended, right? He just strikes me as being a more "au naturel" kind of a guy's guy.
Let's see.......from what we hear, people who have had the rare opportunity to see him up close or even hug him - - they all seem to have zero recall of any special fragrances associated with him. But then again, consider the source ....... haha, can we trust the memories of these overly excited, sensory overloaded ladies?

I once heard this cute story...one of our hilarious japanese sisters was lurking around at Capitol Tokyu Hotel, one of the places where he stayed during his visit to Japan that first time. After a long day of BYJ activities, she walked into a lift in a semi-distracted state, only to encounter a really sweet aroma in the air. Ah....it really smells good, she thought to herself. Then, after entering the lift, as she turned around and faced out, she caught a glimpse of BYJ who, intentionally or not, was partially hidden behind a pillar not too far away in a corner in the lobby, amongst some security guards. She found out - yep, of course - that the prior passenger who had just gotten off was Mr BYJ himself. What happened next - oh so predictable - was a mad rush to suck in all the oxygen left in that elevator! heehee - prime example of grown-ups acting silly, right? :)

I'm such an awful story teller - it's really funnier in person, especially when she play-acted out the whole scenario! :)

Well, she told me that the scent he was wearing that day was that of Dior's Fahrenheit. So after we left the hotel, at the first store that we crossed paths with, I dashed in and made her show it to me. Oh...it's actually not that great - I actually flinched and wrinkled my nose at first sniff. But she assures me that this perfume really grows on you and smells great a day old. Obediently, I stuffed the test strip in my coat pocket and forgot about it. Sure enough, when the coat needed to be put into action again in the cold of Jeju-do, I was surprised to be reaquainted with that little souvenir, now smelling quite refreshing indeed. That'll teach me....never doubt another sister's words!!

Interestingly too, when you get to Park BOF, there is this one glass case showcasing his personal belongings with a big sign reading something like this, "Items actually belong to and used by BYJ". Amongst other fancy things, there is this bottle of cologne as well. I peered and peered, bent down and leaned over, turned every which way but couldn't make out the label. Another sis came to the rescue, "That's made by FRESH, and it's called China Green Tea." OK, OK, it's really getting a little intimidating :) - how come they know so much????!!! And yes, yes - I've test-tried this one out too, heehee. Smells pretty light and clean.

Oh...... who knows why I wonder about these things? All I know is that I've managed to fill an entire page with my rubbish thoughts again.

I guess the jury is still out.

Is he a perfume dabber? A cologne sprayer? An aftershave splasher?

Only way to satisfy this curiosity - let's submit him to a Mishio Sniff test, shall we??

Everyone agree? :)

.

.


Thaaaat's it....you can lean a little closer if you want!

.

.

Hey, I heard that. You said..."Over my ______ body, right?" haha

14 comments:

bbmag said...

i heard he does wear fragrance. years back, there were some reports saying he wore bvlgari green tea & CK one.

but i also remember a news article that came out during one of his earlier japan visit. a reporter was in the same lift as him, standing right next to him in fact. he [or was it she? i can't remember] said he wasn't wearing fragrance, but he smelt of nicely laundered and pressed clothes mixed with body soap. how nice!!

p.s. although it's a terribly terribly terribly old scent, i love fahrenheit! have always loved it, but i think it's not a scent that suits everyone. quite YJ, though, i think, for the dressier or more formal occasions or nights...

p.p.s. the china green tea by FRESH seems quite him too, for casual days...

Toujours_BYJ said...

oh my gosh, I've offered to my hubby last year Fahrenheit for his birthday. But I don't know anything about Fresh, must search for it, maybe I will offer it to hubby this year, ha ha.
Thank you Mishio, I enjoy reading your post with all those little stories very much.

PS : mishio, mishio, what a hot and sexy photo, you need to warn us next time you post a pic like that, especially after a funny drawing.

Anonymous said...

mishio .... what a exceptional experience your Japanese friend has with Yongjoon. He really sounds like an angel, leaving a fresh scent everywhere he goes. I can imagine how hilarious your friend acted inside the elevator!

I totally support you to take a snuff test on Yongjoon. In fact, I hope you can smell all over him(his hair, cheek, neck ...)and come back and give us a detailed report, ok?

marissa said...

I love bulgari green tea but I havent heard of fresh so I'm also checking it out tonight. Mishio you have my blessings to sniff him all you want if will get another chance to be near him.

mishio said...

hi byjglobal!
haha - you really crack me up with your descriptions. Can't say that Ms Hong is right on everytime, but style is in the eye of the beholder, I guess

mishio said...

hi bb-
it's a yes and then a no - a complete mystery. May just depend on his mood. A sister said from how many times she has seen him that he only does so for official outings, but not on everyday basis. Sigh......it's nice to have enough experiences with him to even come up with that conclusion.

mishio said...

haha camille -
wonder what's gonna run through your head when your hubby wears those scents???!! :)
Glad you like the little stories - must admit, I really really like hearing other sis' little stories and experiences very much myself!

mishio said...

hi jaime -
an angel? yes I do think that's pretty close!

you are too funny -sounds like you're describing a total body search rather than a sniff test :)

mishio said...

hi marissa -
yeah, do seek it out....unless it is sold out! haha, as with all things mentionned in association with BYJ, it wasn't that easy to find earlier. Hope everyone has restocked.

And...you and jaime take honors for being the most generous sisters for giving me the green light!! :)

bbmag said...

err... noticed i wasn't as forthcoming when it comes to giving you the green light to sniff away...? :p

only and only if i'm right there with you sniffing away, ya?

mishio said...

Bb-ah........
By now, hope you know that some things go without saying...
Ms pretty file cabinet, you know I think great things of ya, arasoyo?:)

My kneejerk comments prob just reflect how wonderful it is to find sis that aren't too overly possessive of him. And anyway, it's all imaginary. Sniff test, yeah, alright.....

LoveJoyPeace said...

mishio if I open a perfume shop you have to be the promoter, not only you can sell but atract the crowd with the humour. I like the humour better than the product though..hehehe

Anonymous said...

I feel sure that BYJ uses or has used CK One. I remember a long time ago being rather pleased that he did because it was the one that my true love used and it is very special. In fact when he used it I would follow him anywhere. I still keep it around to remind me.

P.

mishio said...

hi P!
welcome & thanks for reading this blog!
I quite like CK's clean scents too - CK one is one of those great ones.
You surely seem like a person of good taste when it comes to perfumes and men!
Hope to see ya around.