Saturday, April 08, 2006

MMM: Part VI A

Thank you brave bloggers, frances, joyce, camille for rising to the challenge! I'm impressed that you all did very, very well, especially considering the fact I had no idea what most of these places looked like just a short month ago. Thanks again for the support!

********************************
Part VI A: Here come the answers...
After a couple of exhausting outdoorsy days in Jeju, I had hoped to sleep in a tad on my first full day in Seoul. It was Sunday after all.....
But, all hopes of this plan deteriorated when I was jolted out of bed by loud blasting music at a little before 6am, along with random broadcasted booms of thunderous rallying cries! OMG! Way up here on 21st floor (!) , and the windows were shaking from the decibels.
This has got to be the most enthusiastic display of Nationalistic Pride I'd ever witnessed!

Remember? This was the ultra important day of the deciding game of the Korea vs Japan series in the World Baseball Classic.
Well...I love baseball. Hooked during the more glorious days of Dodger history. (Well..maybe, "loved"baseball, is a better way to put it, considering the sorry state of the Dodgers lately..)
But, 6 am??
I guess if you can't beat them, join them!
Our hotel overlooked the City Hall, where the rally was being staged, so I just had to go down and investigate. Wow - Turquoise t-shirts with "K-O-R-E-A" printed in bold, for sale at every corner, and a full-blown concert was already underway, with crowds gathering at a most rapid rate. At every rally cry, pumping fists went up in the air in unison!
You had to be there - just amazing! Put all sports fans world-wide to shame.
I was all by myself at this time - it was nice to have a quiet reflective moment to sit there, play looky-loose, people-watch for a bit and soak in the energy of the moment. Caught myself wondering........what's he doing right now? Wonder where he'll be watching the game from? Is he, maybe, getting ready for a big boy's game day party? Nice serene thoughts floated by.....which really put smiles to my face. Made a wish for him to enjoy a nice day with his pals, much like all the other folks here in the plaza.
All-in-all, a very nice unexpected treat and reward for the early - riser!
OK, back to the answers......
A) On the morning of our first full day in Seoul, we visited Park BOF, appropriately holding the title of "BYJ mecca" as termed by Frances. Therefore, an appropriate first stop for us.....
Actually the office was smaller than I expected, but the space so well used, and the layout of the multi-story building so cozy and charming! The sign shown on the quiz was of course the one parked next to his JEEP from AS, which in turn, sits there in the corner of the parking lot to greet us. From the basement of Park BOF and working up the half and full floors, every space, wall, corner was maximally decorated by BYJ items, photos, belongings, movie props with a dedicated loft area used for the portrait studio where staff will take that official photo of you with Insoo on that hospital bench. You know, I couldn't tell from the posts I've read before, but actually, there is no paper cut-out of Insoo there on the bench - you just sit and pose, pretending him to be there, and the image of Insoo is then later computer superimposed onto the final photo. This was tough for me, an individual who hates taking photos in the first place, and no surprise, my pic turned out quite awkward and.........UCK!! It was saved from the flames only because of the pretty official BOF album and nice framing work. It didn't help that we were only allowed the 3 possible poses ... it was plain to see, I was not destined to be an actress! :)
No photos were allowed within Park BOF, so no show & tell here. Will just share with you that my very, very favorite photo of all was a black & white of YJ wearing the goofy Doraemon glasses and holding a mike shaped like a cartoon figure (friend of Doraemon). Love, love, love it when his playful side is captured!
B) Gorilla Restaurant - the street sign represents the cross-streets where the restaurant is situated. Not much happening when I was there, but I'm sure it's a different story now.
Anyway, it was not easy for confused fan like me to find it, so I decided to snap a pic of the street names so no one will have to struggle again like I did.
Hmmmmm....healthy dining, prepared as envisioned by J.P. & BYJ? This, I gotta go back to try!
Except.......maybe.......I'll take a pass on the "chicken in the blender" dish :O
C) This didn't look too familiar to you gals?
OK... a clue....
Now do you know?
This is restaurant where the "uncomfortable" meeting scene in WLS took place. Hee, we even got the same table where all the action came down! Actually this is a very pleasant Italian restaurant to have a nice quiet lunch with friends. Good service, great ambience. And the food? Superb. Can you say king prawn pasta??? yum, heavenly!
D) New BOF office building -
This place needs no introduction, explanation.
Closed to the public, of course.
E) See? I told you the quiz was easy... this is "THE FAMOUS SLOPE" on the beautiful grounds of Sheraton Walker Hill. And yes, I peered, and peered, but no sight of a handsome jogger to be found :)
This is where, if I didn't know it before, I realized how fit he really is. This is no easy slope to walk up, much less jog up. Actually, if you check out his pace in the movie, I think he was practically sprinting up this hill! For his sake, I do hope this was filmed on one take only!


I didn't expect this, but as you roam around the grounds, you'dl spot a little stairwell, a side road, and even the most minor details of the movie, the most minute scenes, would suddenly start flashing back in your mind left and right. Oh! Isn't this where SHG bumped into KSW? OMG!! It is!! And Oh! Isn't this where..... and so forth.

It's a serious case of watching a certain drama too many times!

Lucky for us, after our walk, we got to sit for afternoon tea in the hotel lobby. A Lithuanian band was playing, amongst other selections,.......music from WLS & Hotelier?Interesting sight.....Wow, do they know him in Lithuania too?
Somehow, I wouldn't doubt that.

(Sorry, gotta work tomorrow...F to I will have to wait one more day)

5 comments:

bbmag said...

love love love your blog, period.

thanks for the sharing. can't wait for the next instalments :p

Toujours_BYJ said...

Hi mishio, so i was right for A, C and E, not that bad 3/5.
I always remember this "uncomfortable" meeting in WS, don't you wish to see YJj come down when you're sitting at this table ?

bbmag said...

oh ya... mishio, did i mention that your trip posting has been translated in brief into chinese on loveyongjoon.com?

once again, thanks for the sharing.

marissa said...

yay, I did poorly just Park BOF and Walker Hill.

mishio said...

Ah! bb's back!
Glad you made a safe return!
The anticipation for your travel blog starts...... :)
thanks for the kind encouragement
and thanks for the digilent service the ladies at LYJ.com are doing.

hi camille - Absolutely! Wished for that at every, every corner I turned!
Thanks for visiting even though you're so busy lately. Appreciate everything you're doing!

Marissa - as I had never set foot in Korea before, let's just say you did better than I would've.