Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Eat Your Heart Out!



To those of you who cordially extended out your hands of friendship, consider them firmly clasped with mine in return. And yes, of course, it's with that hand, you know........ that one!!! So, there you have it - the full circle of caring that extends from him to me to you - really something else, this feeling, huh?! Taedani Kamsahamnida, my dear "chingu's"!

********************************
So, is everyone Gorilla'ed out yet?
Nope... didn't think so. Hope you're just like me - never tire of handsome men, and never tire of food.
So, what does everyone think of the sign?
GOR+
ILLA
Looks like from the comments on Quilt that I'm not the only one who felt the letter arrangement of the GORILLA sign a tad odd. Again, this may be just the makings of us bizarre and twisted minds, but the first time I saw it, I kept thinking why not simply
GO+
RILLA or
GO+
RI + as it is phonetically divided?
LLA

The way it is now made the words GO ILL jump out a little too much, ya know? Anyway, for those readers that take me seriously - DON'T. Although I can't help what I see, my eyes are just probably playing tricks with me. No offense intended.
Credit the PR people.
Anyway, with all the wedding news lately, a certain phrase keeps circling in my mind. In our culture, there's this cliche phrase we say that if a woman is at ease both in the kitchen and the living room, then she gets high marks for being a prospective wife. Of course, this refers to the multi-talented renaissance woman who can gracefully handle the domestic chores while possessing the external beauty and ability to excel at the social scene.
Never thought I would have circumstance to use it to describe a man, but the opposite is true of a man, isn't it? What awe I am in of a man who is not only infinitely capable at his work and business, but possessing that magic hand in the kitchen as well?
Yes, we all know a few of these...but the "real" ones are few and far between. Like my guy friends - ask them and they will consider themselves amongst this elite group. It's true that I sometimes get treated to their "home cooked" snacks, but when I get there, what's offered up is usually something made from a 5-minute microwave cake mix. The sad part is that they really believe they are cooking! Such oblivion...geez - should I set them straight? :)
Back to Gorilla, though....
So happy to find out that the menu is in both Korean and English. Boy, I'm just drooling when I read this - thank goodness for tomato-onni too for the complete list, because I get fairly indecisive at times, and there's no pressure like a million hungry people staring at you to hurry along with your order! Just so you know - the problem isn't that I don't know what I wanna eat, it because I want a bit of everything. So greedy, yeah? Still, it's nice to sit back and peruse this ahead of time, and even make my choices before I get there.
And make no mistake, I will get there !! The sooner the better too!! haha
(below, reposted from Quilt/translation courtesy of tomato99)
FOOD MENUSTARTER & SOUP
1. Grilled Scallop Salad
2. Octopus Carpaccio Arugula Salad
3. Sweet Potato and Spinach Pancake
4. Herb Grilled Vegetables
5. Baked Italian Tomatoes
6. Baguette with Tomato and Pastrami
7. Stuffed Mushrooms
8. Sweet Potato and Potato with Maple Syrup
9. Soup of the Day
SALAD
10. Citrus Chicken Breast Salad
11. Chicken Breast Potato Salad
12. Sweet Pumpkin Mushroom Salad
13. Romaine Salad
14. Oriental Yam Salad
15. Fiber Noodle Salad
16. Pastrami Potato Salad
17. Whole Wheat Baguette Salad
18. Crunch Tofu Salad with Sesame Dressing
19. Multi Bean Salad
20. Seafood Salad
MEAT, FISH & TOFU
21. Herb Steamed Chicken Breast
22. Chili Pepper Chicken Breast with Mashed Potatoes
23. Grilled Ginger Chicken Breast with Grilled Vegetables
24. Steak Fillet with Grilled Vegetables in Bean Sauce
25. Oven-Baked Pineapple Chicken Breast
26. Soy Mustard Shrimp and Scallops with Vegetable Pasta
27. Oven-Baked Salmons Steak with Herbs
28. Oven-Baked Pistachio Crusted Sea Bass Steak with Lemon Sauce
29. Blackened Tuna Steak
30. Seafood Tomato Stew with Crispy Brown Risotto
31. Sesame Tofu Cube
32. Tofu Cabbage Wrap
33. Bean Sauce Tofu Steak
34. Red Curry Chicken Breast Stew
35. Oven-Baked Crispy Rice Chicken Bar
36. Oven-Baked Fish and Veggie Bar
PASTA & RICE
37. Garlic Olive Pasta with Chicken Breast
38. Seafood Pasta Noodle Soup
39. Natto and Barley Risotto with Sweet Pumpkin
40. Fruit & Nut Brown Rice
41. Black Pepper Chicken Breast with Black Rice
42. Crispy Rice Sushi
43. Pasta with Shrimp & “Tobiko” with White Sauce(Low-Fat, Non-Cream)
44. Anchovy Cabbage Pasta
45. Pasta wih Mushroom with White Sauce(Low-Fat, Non-Cream)
46. Tomato Seafood Pasta
47. Gorilla Seafood Paella
SANDWICH & PIZZA
48. Chicken Breast & Apple Sandwich with Melted Emmental Cheese
49. Oven-Baked Tofu Sandwich
50. Grilled Pastrami Sandwich
51. Cajun Chicken & Mushroom Sandwich
52. Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
53. Grilled Tuna Sandwich with Ginger and Onion
54. Salmon Sandwich
55. Fishcake Sandwich
56. Gorilla’s Tortilla Pizza-Crispy Tuna
57. Gorilla’s Tortilla Pizza-Herb Crumb Chicken Breast
58. Gorilla’s Tortilla Pizza-Hot Cajun Chicken Breast
59. Gorilla’s Tortilla Pizza-Tofu Chicken Breast
DESSERT
60. Fruit Kebab with Zest Yogurt Dip
61. Grilled Banana with Cranberry Syrup
62. Fresh Fruit with Yogurt
source: http://blog.naver.com/kosmose/120022473412photos and menu are taken from blog of KOSMOSE
Wow - look at the choices! How do they come up with all these original recipes in 6 months time? He and his team are something else......
Anyone as surprised as me that there's no ham on the menu? heehee . Remember Ryu Seung Soo's comments from the PhotoDocu? ^ ^
So, SSH has been there already...
And so have my "traitor" pals [kidding, traitors! :) ] who just had the pleasure of dining there a few nights ago!! Argggh! I feel left out!
You know, they all said it was a really elegant, high-class kind of a place, with cooks in high hats and all. That's good to know, coz the minimalistic white plastic-ky looking table and chairs had me thinking more of a cafe-style, laid-back kind eatery.
Apparently, hip K-music plays at a peaceful level in the background. And from what they described, what's really neat is that the waitors and waitresses are really well-versed on the health benefits of the ingredients used in the food items, and patiently take the care to explain them to you as you make your menu choices.

With all the photos, descriptions, menu, etc., etc. - the most important question I gotta ask: Gals, does it taste good?
This is #25!
Looks like #43 - but don't quote me on it!
And...this is...........wha happened? hahaha , m-my dear, your ravenous hunger just couldn't wait, could it? well, eventhough you ate half of it, thanks for remembering to snap me a pic. Well, this WAS supposed to have been #1. :)
Anyway, back to my question? Taste good? I mean, really, seriously? Even without the BYJ element??
All chanted a resounding "Yes!" And one of these gals is a restauranteur with finicky tastebuds - if you have her stamp of approval, that's cred, baby!
Can it be? It took none one other than BYJ to solve the age-old dilemma of producing good tasting yet low-caloric food?

Ahh...so good to hear! He's a genius! That makes him a true kitchen & living room kind of a guy, then!

4 comments:

bbmag said...

want to go want to go want to go want to go want to go!!!

thanks for sharing, mishio :)

p.s. so i guessed right, the menu does have english trans :p

Anonymous said...

Hi mishio,

I totally agree with you! That's what I was pondering when I first saw the sign. If it's split phonetically:

GO
RILLA
INTHEKITCHEN

wouldn't the entire sign be more visually pleasing? Of course, I am no design expert here. But while I am at it, may I dare to suggest one more interior design change? How about covering the spatula/laddle wall with Yongjoon's pictures, I guarantee I can gobble up every single one of the item on the menu in GORILLA SIZE.

I know I know, my ideas are tacky!
That's why those designers got paid big bucks and I don't?

Thanks to you and your friends for sharing the beautiful pictures. Those dishes look delicious and the HUMAN SIZE looks big to me too!

take care .... jaime

mishio said...

hi bb -
haha at this very moment, you don't sound like someone who is going to "stay grounded" :)

mishio said...

hi jaime
glad it's not just my eyes going bad....
pictures on the wall? which ones may you suggest? :) hee, sounds like you have an appetite for more than just the food....