Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Makings of Magnificent Memories: Part V

Back on Track....

With our permanent distraction safe and back home in Seoul, finally we can do the things we came on this trip to do....namely enjoy the peaceful gifts that nature has to offer there.

A most distinctive symbol of Jeju - these 'dol-harubang' (stone grandfathers) are ubiquitous all over the island and serve as a reminder of the unique customs and religious culture that has evolved independently on this island. There's a little bit of something for everyone here, from inviting coastlines to grand waterfalls, to beautiful mountains and hiking trails. As I mentionned before, you'll also find many parts of Jeju is quite pastoral, green, and calm... just perfect for R&R. And there was a lot of calming down to do after the exciting windfall of the day prior. So we ate well, snacked well, did afternoon tea well, .......

Won't bore you with all the details - just posting some random pics of places we stumbled upon.

(above: from san-shin.org) (above: map of Hallansan Park & the beginning of our hiking trail )

(above & below) O'Sulloc Tea museum - a well-known tea production company and surrounding tea fields. I thought the rolling hills were really a remarkable site! There's a nice cafe inside the museum^^ green tea ice-cream! green tea ice-cream!

(above: one of many riding stables found along the way...)

(above: a little reminder of "home" : Mini-World - your amusement park with miniature versions of famous places in the world)

Of course, a lot of the hotels in the Jung Mun Tourist area are all-inclusive resorts on there own...

Lotte Hotel is no exception...

...which offers interesting distractions for all you K-drama fans. Surely you recall these work and the scenes involved...


Oh, did I mentionned I drove everywhere?
First and last time, probably....
Let me give you a word of advice....don't do it. Unless you absolutely positively have a thing about being independent and free, like I do. And unless you are a silly American like me (who does not read Korean.)
Actually the roads are easy enough to maneuver, but the problem is that there are no detailed maps and there are so many small rural roads. The signs don't make sense, as least to my simpleton mind .... and when they do, the constant improvement projects and detours end up throwing you off. Some days it felt like we were in a maze. Haha it's so funny, when you get lost and don't speak enough Korean to beg for help, it's .....ummmmm....a tiny problem ........and an entire chapter of laughable scenarios. What can I say...makes for good memories these tribulations does....
C'mon, go ahead! Someone ask me what I drove???? This, of course.

Did I or didn't I tell you that this was the total BYJ Immersion Tour? :)

Just for your Jeju-trip planning purposes, however, you should know that it costs at least 50% less to hire a taxi driver for the day, than driving on your own. The extra benefits being not having to drive in circles and wasting fuel that costs a whoppping $85 (that's US $) per tank to fill up! Not to mention the savings in terms of the wrinkles and wear and tear on your body. So, trust me...don't do it.

No wait! Another reason to not drive! It gets mighty dangerous sometimes, you know....
Well, I usually need to have the radio on in the background when I drive. With no understanding of Korean, aside from some good tunes, it's just usually this drone of DJ chatter in the background. Until ......suddenly....Shreeek! Mr Soothing Familiar comes on, and instantaneously, everyone lights up in an uproar in unison! AHHHH!! It's his voice! Yes, I am referring to the Keongnam Enteprises radio commercial which plays over and over again all day long!

Hey, don't EEEVEN think about touching my radio dial!! heehee. Good thing I am the driver, so I get the final say! I still can't get over how nice it is to live somewhere where HE can just pop in your mind for a visit here and there and light up your life!

But man, he really just sneaks up on you! It's actually quite interesting how even when you are really not listening to the radio that everyone's subconscious will just pick up on his voice at the first word spoken! We are so totally HONED in! And desperately incurable as fans!!

Now that I think it over, driving in circles did one good thing, however. I swear I know some of the roads so well by now that I'll bet I can get back to Myosanbong blindfolded.
So, what the heck - go back we did!

Remember the sign-in book that some fans talked about? The one where you can leave your congratulatory messages to BYJ and the team?
We finally found it...and just in time - got to scribble something on the very, very last page!
Wonder if he'll get bored one day during the shoot and flip through it?

Wonder if he's the interesting type that'll start reading a book from the end? :) :)

Those guys were pretty speedy indeed - had already posted that official KOSA pic into the album, as you can see.

When someone is around and the trailer door is open, you can sometimes peek and see all these blueprints and plans on the wall - think these were posted also on Quilt before so I won't post a bunch of them photos.

This following one of our sis' treasures that she agreed to share here -it's a sketch depicting one of the planned sets and competition scene ***Please respect her wishes and don't repost the following picture anywhere else on the web. Thank you kindly.***

On the way out , we met a very cordial production engineer who came by to check on something. Although language was the ever-present problem, he was kind to let us know that his deadlines for the Main set and second set are July and May respectively. He did confirm that there were multiple shooting locations all over town, but emphasized that these locations are very transient .....

Later, when we met up with some other sisters, there were a few who found out there were 8 main shooting locations for GKFG. I cannot confirm this, so please don't treat this as fact, okay?We did put our heads together and named all those possible locations we heard about...and whoa! By golly, between all of us, WE GOT 8!! Don't know why, but we were quite elated at that moment. Like the moment when one finally plugs in the last piece of a jig-saw puzzle!
But who are we kidding??? As much as we believe we solved part of the mystery, in reality these are just conjectures and hearsay...Won't put too much weight on this, I've decided.

Before we heard from the other sisters and Mr. engineer, we did successfully track down a high school in Seogwipo which had been mentionned several times as possible location. It was late by the time we found it....and the pics (of the courtyard & ballfield) aren't all that interesting....

This above area overlooks the field below.

But....as I am blogging tonight.... hmmmm...I'm thinking that these look like a possible match? What do you think, huh?

Ah...the overly active & imaginative mind toils.........


Again, please don't repost the sketch (3rd pic on the right above) anywhere else. Komapsumnida!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, mishio
it's so much fun to read your postings. thank you for sharing.
michelle from texas.

mishio said...

hi michelle
welcome, welcome! We have a family member from Texas! You are BYJ family, aren't you? :)
Thanks so much for visiting and "enduring" my wordy posts. Hope to see more of you around!

marissa said...

mishio,

I had fun imagining you doing a driving leasurely then getting all worked up upon hearing his voice over the radio. I'm sure we'll do the same if put in your shoes. Aaah, the crazy things we do in the name of love for this guy.

LoveJoyPeace said...

Hey Mishio,
Thanks for the good advise of hiring a taxi driver instead, I am hoping to be able to go there and BYJglobal is planning a trip there. Gosh my schedules for this year is so full of holiday, you will think i m nuts. Kekeke

Anonymous said...

hi mishio

juju is fr spore :-) me can only access pc during working hrs.... byj family sure hv a lot of talented people. fighting..fighting.... fighting....

been to korea few times already but never really do touring. next trip must really go sight seeng

cheers, juju

liezle said...

hi there mishio! thank you so much for sharing with us your fun-filled experience in korea. reading your entries makes me want to dash and fly to baeland ^^

i hope that someday, i can also share with you my experience.

always,
liezle

mishio said...

Hi marissa
I quite realy enjoyed that radio experience -it was quite an uproar when he came on...esp that very first time!

Joyce, dear - you go ahead and travel as often as you please - I already think you nuts anyway! hahahaha (i know you do have a sense of humor, right? of course I'm kidding). Oh -you'll have so much fun travelling with the sisters...just keep us up so we can share the joy with you, k?
byjglobal is....from NY, right?

mishio said...

Hi again juju-
thx for the reply. Wow,glad to meet another sis from S'pore - BYJ should be so proud to garner such a following there! Am proud for him!
Did work-constraints or BYJ-contraints keep you from seeing the rest of the country, I wonder? :) Yes, sightseeing in Korea is fun - another reason for you to go back,right?

mishio said...

Hi liezle-
as always, thx for stopping by & viewing...glad that you safely returned from a fun HK trip. Off to Baeland isn't so far for you, is it? Can't wait for your report then....

LoveJoyPeace said...

Hi Mishio
kekeke, I had so much fun on this trip, I am looking to travelling with Baesis and Baeland and for more exciting adventures on my nutty venture....kekeke, don't worry....i love your humour so blast away...hehehe the chipmunk will love me and you. ;)