But the Quilt post by tomato re: AS Event at Osaka happened to be right up this alley, so I can't help but comment my 2 cents worth.
Like most of you, the insight provided by Mr Sohn's descriptions of our BYJ were too precious indeed. Have we always known that he was a fairly rigid perfectionist? Of course, and we love him for it. Still, I was quite intrigued by the comments - reading them made me feel like I was reading about myself. Yes, I, am one of those overly competitive spirits by nature as well. Everyone who is this way gets there or develops this attitude by different paths, so I am not jumping on the bandwagon just to say I identify with him or that I understand him. And I'm neither saying whether it's good nor bad.
Sure, the ideologues tend to emphasize the importance of love, sharing and equality and reject the notion of competition. But in reality, the truth is that almost everyone wants to be a winner of sorts - to be at the top and to challenge oneself to continually to get there. Nothing wrong with aiming high and sounds, in fact, pretty darn good on paper, at least.
There is a fine line, I guess, between being the best at everything vs. being at the best of one's ability. Of course, this is the basic difference between competing with others vs. competing with oneself. I don't much like being in the spotlight and don't quite need the glory of winning everytime. Not to mention the canisters of trouble stirred up by jealous onlookers. Simply, I need to know that I've given my all. Period. And if by giving my very best, I am rewarded with a few medals, then I'll gratefully accept.
Can only speak for myself, but having been raised in a "good is never good enough" environment, I know part of my problem probably stemmed directly from this upbringing. People tell me all the time and try to reason with me that this competitive nature is wholly responsible for the tedious, tension-filled life that I own. Simply demand too much of myself, and I'd venture to guess, of others around me as well.
But see, as rocky as it sometimes get, I truly subscribe to the theory that the world runs on 'competition' and that there would not be forward progression and no goals to aspire to without this spirit. Better yet, I don't like to call it competition, but rather "passion." Be it a goal, a job, a hobby, or a simple interest - it is passion that drives people to such great lengths to accomplish things and accomplish things well. It is because of this passion that I don't accept less than "the best". It is this passion that gives me drive to push on everyday. And it is because I have lived this way that I feel I have been true to myself, regardless of what I have had to give up or sacrifice along the way.
Hee - I get so "passionate" too when writing about this, don't I? (Yeah, particularly today - you'd understand if you read the Los Angeles Times headlines today re: mass walkout on the job. Suffice it to say that we had a very hard day at work).
Me..sounding like the difficult, old inflexible lady again, right?
Does this stance make one feel lonely sometimes? I guess.
Does one feel a little alienated sometimes? Probably.
Does it feel like fighting a one-person crusade sometimes? Absolutely.
Anyway, so although after reading Mr. Sohn's passage, some kind and sensitive souls will come away with a little heartache for our BYJ over the fact that he puts so much pressure on himself. But, I honestly really cannot see him being any other way. This is what makes him the BYJ that we know - the one with impeccable standards, the one who rises above the others, the one who puts his best face forward each and everytime, the one who raises the bar that extra notch. This is why I admire him so. As much as I'd like to see him relax a bit (and who says he doesn't in private anyway??), this competitive drive is the essence of BYJ - he won't be happy nor be himself if that were taken away. So I won't worry over this, or act the part of the overly concerned motherly role.
I know I haven't gotten it all figured out, but alas, we're talking about BYJ who is infinitely more grounded and smarter than me. For starters, he's way better balanced for sure. He's got a good head on his shoulders and obviously, from what we've seen about his business dealings, has been treading forward on a purposeful plan.
Just ask his business associates......doesn't he take care of them all famously? Betcha they don't think he is as picky to deal with as I am...
Haha - this isn't related, but I found a way to sneak it in, didn't I? Gotta soften up the mood a bit in here and cheer you up a bit after drowning you with my rhetoric?
Here, a lucky business associate of BYJ (taken exactly one month ago today, I think), showing off his special souvenir with the most perfect perfectionist I know.

12 comments:
I couldn't agree with you more, mishio. I love that you use the word 'passion' in lieu of 'competition'. If we approach everything with passion, give it our best effort and not hurting anybody along the way, we can say a prayer and close our eyes at night in peace.
From his message to the Japanese sisters in the AS reunion, BYJ mentioned that he will continue to be a good model. I think he understands his influence on us and the important role that he plays. Looking past the glamour and beauty of BYJ, there is the determination and integrity of this man which deserves our admiration. Love him so much!
know what? this ain't exactly an easy blog post to reply to. to just say 'thanks for sharing' seems a tad too superficial, and to say more would mean to say a lot more...
personally, i enjoyed this one. not only does it reflect what you think of him, it also shares alot about you and how you approach life and the things in life. underlying the seemingly casual and fast tone is actually a rather serious topic. i guess that's why i wasn't sure how to reply when i read it for the first time just now.
like you, i too can't imagine yong joon to be anything else, other than what sohn has painted of him. and i like it that way. i've been pondering about what makes him so special, so different, so irreplaceable, so intriguing, so... and if i go on, it'll be a blog post by itself. but one thing for sure, he's different from the rest of the them who just make do and who just go with the flow. he's the sort who believes in ideals, values and principles. things that many of us want to believe in and want to do, but probably don't pursue them half as hard as he does.
sometimes i wonder... is he the man i wish i have, or is he the person i wish i am.
i see some similiarities in the way we look at things, sometimes headstrong, sometimes idealistic, and many times just plain confused :p
and likewise, hope you know by now alot of things go unsaid, but i do see you as alot more than just a bae-fan-friend by now. it kindda makes me scared about meeting you in person. what if...?
p.s. what's the occasion with that picture taken exactly one month ago huh?
Hey Mishio, if only I have meet you in Korea, you are one ball of energy and fun gal.
hey jaime!
glad i didn't come off like a rigid steel pole there. and I'm glad you share the same philophies in life and love the same qualities about him!
bb-
as always, I thank you for taking the time to reflect deeply about my jibberish. It's like my weekly dose of girl-friend talk, ya know?
I think I can answer one of the questions at least. If you are anything like me, then I would not want to "have" a man that I didn't wanna "be" like. Some people are attracted to their polar opposites, but I've gotta be with someone whom I admire and look up to. You the same?
Oh - can answer another one. That last photo - actually is from my friends who just came back from Seoul/Japan last week. During one of their feverish shopping sessions, they ran into a honcho of one of the shops - he volunteered endlessly about what a great business partner YJ is and of course, his prize photo with him.
Finally...question back for you.
What if.... WHAT????
You mean What if I turned out to be "misbio" after all??
Oh...X$%^&*()#@!!! hahaha
hey there joyce-
Been well? Busy?
Yeah...too bad you were tempted away with those great Shanghai deals. But hey you had a wonderful, wonderful time in Shanghaiwith your own pals - always, ALWAYS remember that!
You are in a reflective mood. ^^
If BYJ wasn't serious about everything that he does.
If he doesn't try hard at everything.
If he takes life easy now just because he's made it.
Would he still have that many fans?
Would we still love him?
Hi Tiffany!
Happy to hear from you...as usual, you managed to hit the point right on the spot. Haha, I write pages and pages, and you can say the same thing in a concise short few phrases? How come? What's wrong with me? :)
oops... i just saw your request at the top of your blog... you know, the one asking that all inform you before reposting your blog pics or contents... :p
i already did that, sorry...! i reposted that picture of YJ & that honcho you're talking about.... think i reposted it a couple of days ago, to www.loveyongjoon.com, complete with source and background of story. want me to remove it?
sorry, will remember next time :)
Thanks for your consideration of asking about "permission" - no,I trust ya, no need to remove anything.
thanks dear :)
p.s. i saw the same pic floating around in baidu 百渡
http://post.baidu.com/f?kw=%C5%E1%D3%C2%BF%A1
thanks - went there but got lost in the jungle of chinese characters. But anyway, surely my friends have other friends who have other friends.....so as much as I'd like to be someone's "one and only" (haha), i'm sure any photo of him is too good not to share with everyone!
Post a Comment