“I never thought I’d ever be a fangirl”.Sure, no big revelation. You’ve heard this confession over and over again from the sis on the boards.
Me neither. In fact, accept my sincerest apologies, but I used to be amused by all the world’s fan-atics. Before BYJ, I think I even poked fun at them on many occasions. So, as wonderful as it was to have lived this experience, I , being very very pragmatic, still have scattered moments of uncertainty and confusion that still resurface from time to time. To invest this amount of time and energy on a celebrity, to fly half way across the world for a chance at a glimpse at him, to emotionally ride the highs with his career peaks and to commiserate when his career suffers any setbacks, to give up my wardrobe money (ay!) in exchange for some “BOF” official goods, …is this normal? Am I normal? More precisely: When does loyal admiration cross over to an irrational blind idolization?
Today, unknowingly, I stumbled into the wrong BYJ thread on the net today. It was immediately unfamiliar and strange. Pages and pages of BYJ bashing –mostly men but not too few women too, talking trash about him, poking fun aimlessly, calling for an end to his fame, etc. Nobody hammer me, but no, I didn’t click out immediately. I was curious. I actually wanted to know what others thought “on the other side.” Maybe, I thought, this would give me a healthy does of reality and perspective. In order to help support someone fully, awareness about his enemies and perceived flaws can be as important as knowing about his strengths. Easily discredited and skimmed over were the ones filled with foul language and/or random pointless derogation. Still, a few people, perhaps more gifted in their ways of expression, voiced their opinions so reasonably, rationally, logically that I stopped to listen and consider. I pondered over these a bit, and in minor instances, I (*ducking again*) felt I could understand. Now, now - I didn’t say I agreed. Like I’ve always said, when I understand the logic of the reasoning, I can accept any differences in opinion. But it was weird - just having that sentiment sent pangs of guilt up and down my body.
So, this is my question – Is there room for criticism in this sphere of BYJ family? Our own individual allowances for criticism of BYJ and company - what does that tell about the health of our relationship to this celebrity and his “family”? When is it love and admiration and support? And when is it blind-folded obsession?
No guys. I am not trying to sound pseudo-intellectual or even philosophical. I am genuinely puzzled.
Take, for instance, a very minor but agitated topic of conversation in this part of the world this week. One sis happened to be in a complaining mood and made general not-so-positive comments about BYJ recent appearance, references to his aging and prophesized fan-dropout due to this, etc. So, what? Big deal. She’s entitled to speak her mind. At least that was what I thought. Until one after another offended sis started creeping out of the woodwork. Privately, she is taking a “beating.” For what, I still don’t know.
This isn’t the simple question of constructive vs. destructive criticism. And there was no issue of derogatory or impolite language or lack of finesse in her communication. I found out that there are many sisters out there that just would not tolerate any hint of a negative comment about BYJ. But is that what being a “good” family member is all about?
BYJ is after all, human. No matter how few or invisible, he has shortcomings like everyone else. And yes, he has bad-hair days, just not as many as I do. He knows it, I know it, and you know it.
Is criticism not but just voicing another opinion? And just because there is another opinion, it does not mean you have to necessarily agree or take it to heart. Acceptance of criticism is an essential part of self-development and crucial to self-improvement. Refusing to acknowledge the existence of flaws is to dangerously put him on a pedestal, and is part of the process that continues to add more burden and pressure to his ever more fatigued shoulders.
Situations like that of this sis make me uneasy. I really don’t want to have to watch and edit every word in my mind to as to not to be ostracized by the family and be sent off to the Siberia equivalent of BYJ-land.
I believe there is room in our hearts for healthy discussion and acceptances of all different opinions. Let’s lower the defenses and let’s everyone be a little more tolerant of the expression of these differences. Even when you do not agree.
"Love is an oxymoron. To truly love someone I have to do two contradictory things: I have to respect him and I have to care for him. If I do not accept him as he is, that means that I do not respect him. It means that I don't really love him -- I love only what I wish to make of him. But to love someone also means that I care for him and desire the best for him. And since very, very few people are the best that they can be, caring for someone means not accepting him as he is, but believing in his potential to be better and doing everything I can to reveal that potential." – yanki tauber
Hey, by the way, in case you haven’t noticed, he is pretty darned great even when he is not completely perfect.
Look how great he looks here, even if he is standing way to close to another pretty girl, doing the unthinkable and being married off…
Or , …looky here - see what we get a view of when his clothes are not completely neat and tidy? (pardon the fuzzy capture)
So, can someone please tell me? Is love blind? Or does love have eyes?

6 comments:
Hi Mishio,
O for once I think I like to hear someone criticise him and see how I feel about it. Hmm wondering where you hear all these bashing from. A good experience I must say. Well everyone is entitle to their opinions I guess, just like not all of us would like the same guy, the same teacher or the same movie star. So it's fine if someone else didn't like him. I have even heard some mean things from friends of mine who say things about him that I actually felt angry,maybe they are just trying to tease me.... But oh well say what they like, even someone we love now maybe someday we will stop loving them. So....this is life. Love talking to you. Your discussion mode of writing always make me feel like writing. Hehe you know I don't really like to write actually....but here I am.....;)
i, for one, believe that there's absolutely no need to worship the ground YJ walks on. he's human, he's not god. and the fact that we're fans doesn't mean we can't be clear-eyed and clear-headed to see his shortcomings or mistakes or whatever. and being in the bae-fan-environment also doesn't mean we can't speak our minds.
sadly, i've also come to realise there're all sorts of different personalities and not all subscribe to this belief. i said 'sadly' because i've come across fans who can't take a single negative word or comment or article about YJ at all.
it's as though these people live in their little perfect YJ world. and they will not allow anyone to taint their perfect image of what YJ is, what YJ should be, and what YJ will be.
will be honest here. many a times, i've wondered. am i better off being a closet fan loving YJ in my own private way and not get to know any fellow fans? would i enjoy my bae-journey better? no doubt 'coming out of the closet' has brought me new experience, new friendship, but it has also brought complications.
of course, at the end of the day, whatever it is that bothers us bothers us because we allow it to play with our head. so, maybe we can learn to disregard some of these things and just focus on enjoying the bae-ride, and enjoying the more pleasant, more fun side of being in a bae-circle?
don't know. shrugs. don't have an answer. don't think there's an answer. but what the heck, i love the man.
Hi BB,
Yes agree with you. I love that man not because he is perfect but through knowing him and his fans I see my own shortcomings and learn from the circle and appreciate being there. Well never thought I could find intellectual friends among movie going fan-atics....hehe. Love it ;)
Hi Mishio,
Thanks for bringing it up. I sometimes cringe when I read postings by other bae sisters who only sees the "perfection" in him and treats him like God.
There a difference between bashings and constructive criticism and I too wish to see Yong Joon grow more as an artist and as a person.
I may be a his fan but I still watch the works of other korean actors because their movies are good and their acting has depth. There are moments when I end up wishing that BYJ can challenge another genre of movie and not just melodramas.
Yes, to love him is to accept that he is as human as you and I that love can also be expressed in gently expressing our thoughts on how he can improve in his craft.
Went AWOL for a bit...
Yeah, Joyce. Likewise, enjoy the exchanges with you. You know, I felt nothing - no emotions, reading the negative stuff. Good thing, most net sites are full of people that use unrefined language and they sound so stupid that it's easy to pay no mind to them.
bb-always the voice of reason. Sure you don't double as a therapist sometimes? If you had been a closet fan, you'd likely enjoy it more (more peaceful anyway), but we sure as heck wouldn't.
marissa-looks like the thinking bloggers present a united front here. Cringe is the exact thing I do when I get caught up in those situations. He has exactly gotten this far by humbly acknowledging his flaws and striving to improve on them.
me? voice of reason? i nearly always don't get it when people say that to me. hee... will have you know my real-life friends, the closer ones anyway, think i'm one of the most unreasonable brats around. maybe that's because my truest colours only emerge amongst the very dear friends.
i know i've said it before, but i really do like the way you write. very crisp and sharp, the wit and the ability to laugh at yourself come true the passages. love it.
now the above paragraph translates into: not trying to give you pressure, but can you pls pretty pls write more?
Post a Comment