Monday, January 30, 2006

Bae Going Bad?


I’ll be honest. As a relative new rider on this BYJ bandwagon, I have no shortage of insecurities, not the least of which is the ever haunting question of, “Hey, did I jump on board a little too late?” With every reference he makes to his interest in directorship, and as much as I so honestly wish for him the freedom to pursue his every goal, there is certainly that nagging concern of when this wondrous ride will end. Well, no way to tell or know.

One thing’s for sure however. From what we can gather about his personality, this is a man of conviction, one whose eyes, once fixated on a particular peak, will not stop climbing until he reaches the apex. On that note, I’m guessing that he will continue relentlessly in this pursuit of his craft at least until he attains a certain level of pre-determined caliber and self-satisfaction .What measure-stick he uses, only he knows.
In the realm of acting, YJ has of course accomplished some remarkable feats already, be it box office numbers, recognition, or popularity. Speaking in generalities only here, but beyond fame, riches, adulation, awards, what every other actor/actress that I’ve read about wants, yearns for is a certain degree of critical praise from within the industry itself, which I think you’d all agree is still incompletely fulfilled for our YJ. The ultimate actor’s pinnacle of success: to score a Great role in a Great story and then to nail it perfectly. To have in his resume that one masterpiece work, earning him such widespread acclaim, respect and popularity to be etched in the public’s mind forever. The one crucial piece of work that eternalizes the actor. To accomplish this, me little fan have no idea how - guess there is no set formula. No lack of need for luck as well. But to chip away at the mountain of this assumed goal, I do think and wish, no matter how unpopular, that he’d try break from his mold a little bit more. You all know that most of his roles, with few exceptions, portray him as “the good guy.” One likeable character after another. Even when he was bad in Scandal, he ended up redeeming himself at the end. Besides the risk of typecasting, this poses the risk of being interpreted as “effortless” to play a character so similar to the persona himself, despite the well-known knowledge of how much hard work and effort goes into each and every one of his roles.
A little confession here, but I was not one of those fan girls that “loved him at first sight.” Was not immediately reeled in on Day 1 with the first BYJ drama (Hotelier) I watched. It was very quickly after the initial episodes, but definitely not immediately. And now that I am a bona-fide BYJ fan, I don’t think I could ever be completely objective again.But in the unbiased early days, I remember being most struck by a certain “look” of BYJ. Before being captivated by Frank Shin and his everything, there was this striking facial expression, although few and far between that he seemed to be able to just turn on and off. Very memorable because it gave me a little case of the "creeps." I cannot completely describe it, and after searching countless archives, could not even find a good picture to depict it. That’s probably because it’s quite a ummmm.....sinister look and not a most flattering picture of him. I think you’d all know what I am talking about if I pointed it out to you on the screen though. His face is in kind of a half tilt, chin slightly up, eyes squeezed to a slight squint as he stared at you beneath him with complete scorn. He does it especially well without his glasses off, and repeatedly in Scandal, to the point I’ve been calling it “The Look of Disdain” ever since. I'll have you know I'm not easily taken aback, but this look he does so well, it never fails to send chills down my spine everytime. OK, I hear ya, "what the heck is she yakking about again??" Suffice to say that while my heart always liked the nice guy, the romance stories, and the happy ending, I would love to see him play a true anti-hero for once. He's got this remarkable skill that he may or may not be aware of. There is something about his eyes that can really turn on you. (That's turn ON you, not turn You on, which he obviously has a master degree in as well! hee) No, but really, those gazers can talk to you stone cold, emotionless, chilling and full of evil. And Contempt. And Conceit. It's just my opinion, but by golly, there are times I get the impression that he might more gifted to act the villain than the noble character. Those eyes of his and what he does with them, when not hidden behind those famous shield of spectacles, seem to be able to do all these emotions so marvelously and with ease. Come to think of it, there are, of course, countless examples of Hollywood names who have built their careers on playing positive characters, only to finally get noticed after becoming the villain. It was not necessarily popular with the masses that have come to see the artist in a certain light, but frequently won over the film critics.

Most notable examples? Just a few….

Fred Mac Murray, characteristically the hardworking boy from the neighborhood, is remembered most for his role in a homicide plot in “Double Indemnity” (1944) and his slimy role in “The Apartment,” (1960), both movies of which made it to the Best 100 Movies List of the American Film Institute.

Mary Tyler Moore, with her “light up the world” smile, spent most of her early career playing fairly perky characters on her own Mary Tyler Moore show and her stint on “The Dick Van Dyke Show.” Finally, by playing the emotionally frozen, unforgiving mother on “The Ordinary People,” she received prestigious attention for her work which led the movie to an Academy award.

Of course there was Tom Hanks, the nice guy of nice guys, who made a U-turn in role selection and played a hit man in “Road to Perdition,” a move that helped propelled the movie to US$100 million in returns in box office sales in 2002. Harrison Ford’s turn at the bad dude did even better, making US$155 million and endless critical acclaim in 2002’s “Road to Petition.”

How about Denzel Washington? “Mr. Good Guy” in a string of movies including “The Siege,” “Courage under Fire,” “Malcolm X.” But it was for his role as a rogue and corrupt LAPD officer in “Training Day” that earned him the ultimate prize and a place in history forever - the 2002 Oscars Award for Best Actor.

Even in the case of BYJ himself, the courageous role in“Scandal,” a radical departure from his usual comfort zone, garnered him some of the most positive reviews from the standpoint of pure acting skill alone, despite the concerns of the unpopular content of the movie. It’s often said in the acting business that picking the wrong roles and wrong films lead to short, unremarkable, and unmemorable careers. Well, we already know that in our eyes, BYJ will never fall into that camp. But to the actor himself to earn that ultimate self-gratification, here’s hoping that YJ will find the courage to venture out of the fence again. To continually challenge himself on the way to a meaningful and most distinguished career, on top of the economic success and popularity that he has already achieved.

OK, I’ll come out and say it – yeah, for once I want him to be a wicked bad twisted evil monster through and through! On screen only, of course. I really think it'd be a terrific opportunity for him to stretch his skills and show us what he's got! (and ya, ya - he can show us anything else if he wants to! haha). Considering the fact that he's managed stir me uneasy with one look alone, I am certain he'd rise nicely to the occasion.

Anyway, just blogging out my slanted opinions today. Whatever happens - one thing I do know - I don’t ever want to get on his bad side or be on the opposite side of a quarrel with Mr. BYJ! Could not bear to face that look!

(Hey, if anyone has pics of that look you think I’m talking about, would you post them? Pretty please?)
Sources: Zap2it.com, SF Chronicle.com, CNN.com

3 comments:

marissa said...

Bingo!!!
I've been meaning to blog about it but you did a remarkable job of stating the point that I want to say.

I'm really hoping to see him those kinds of roles that I hope will finally gain the acceptance from his critics.

mishio said...

Hi there marissa!
Why is it that everytime I feel like I'm making an "unpopular" post, you come right to the rescue??? Thanks, thanks.
I'd venture to guess that this is not necessarily what the rest of the fanworld want to see him do, but there's something deep in him that's still untapped. I'm so glad you agree.

bbmag said...

hey, mishio...

yea, know what you mean. i've always thought there's a certain coldness to his eyes too. but the strange thing is i didn't see too much of his cold, cold eyes in HRWL, but i saw them in hotelier, first love and also scandal.

it's kindda incredible, you know. the moment the glasses are off and his smile gone, he can look so, so cold if he wants to. but just by giving a hint of a smile, i would feel as though my entire world has brightened up and he looks so, so sunshiny bright and all warm and fuzzy. the extreme of these two sides of him has intrigued me for sometime now. sometimes, i even find myself wondering if his warm and tender image is just a front, and the real him is actually quite cold, rational, sensible... not necessarily evil though.

but call me a freak if you want. i get turned on more by the slightly cold, slightly bad side of him, more than the cheery, tender side of him [of course, that side is very very appealing too...]

yea, want to see him play a villian role too. soon, i hope... soon...