Wednesday, January 11, 2006

JEJU-DO, anyone?

{I think it was my turn to blog tonight...heehee...
Sheesh - who am I kidding? Like, I would be able to keep up with superwoman over there in the "wet"lands.}



Translated by Joanne of Quilt -

Director Kim Jonhak told, "I expect that the peak period of Korean Current industry can be accomplished through this work," and "Because Jeju Province makes it possible to shoot for 4 seasons a year and as it has diverse natural environment, so that I changed the Mongolia and Kangwon Province, which I originally decided as shooting sites, into Jeju Province."
Kim Daehwui, Jeju CBS, jejupop@cbs.co.kr

Was it just me, or did anyone raise their eyebrow (singular, because I have almost no eyebrows, haha) also when that announcement came about “Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi” being shot entirely in Jeju-do?


What with all the sensational talk before about shooting in N. Korea, Mongolia, Ubekiztan, the news really caught me off-guard. It’s true - all these exotic locales sounded a bit far-fetched to me initially, but some sis, after investing a lot of jaw power, managed to finally convince me that it had to be that way, in order to amass the manpower, volumes of horsemen, etc. to realistically portray the great battle scenes planned. Boy, I even feel a little guilty now, remembering back to last fall, when a newbie signed on KOB from Ubekiztan, and I participated in raising her hopes about BYJ visiting her country. Oh…she was so excited, too. Oh well, not that it was under my control. Sorry, dil, wherever you are.

Who knows? I’m sure that a million and one considerations including finances, simplification of shooting schedules/procedure, etc. all had something to do with this. Not the least of which is the fact that the Korean Government launched an active campaign called “Visit Jeju 2006.” (This change of location is a good thing, believe me, because the thought of attending open filming days in Mongolia had me secretly worried - last I heard, there were no BK Burgers over there! Mishio breathes a big sigh of relief!)

Just stopped by the local branch of the KTO, and they could not emphasize this Jeju-do promotion enough. An oft-picked honeymoon retreat, it is called “Island of the Gods” for a reason. So, based on its own merits, this island draws a hefty number of tourists annually anyway. I think I read on Quilt that the Jeju government has voiced a lofty goal of drawing 200-300K additional tourists this year due to BYJ’s drama. That’s like a 2-3 fold increase over the calculated effects of BYJ on Samcheok !! Maybe just a bit ambitious?

Hey, if anyone can do it, the magnetic power of BYJ will get it done. I truly believe this. I think we all do. Especially considering the fact that every Bae sister I know has already begun planning their own little trips to Korea this year.
But give our man a break, okay travel guys??? How about helping out a little by at least running the “right” ad campaign?
Dude, I can’t believe it. KTO then went out and named Rain (??!!) as their travel Promotion guy for 2006. Well…his popularity is spreading like wildfire, so I understand the selection. I really do. But if not BYJ, how about Lee Young-Ae ? A big chunk of Dae jang geum was filmed in Jeju. And Even Choi Ji Woo who just on location in Jeju for her next film. There are so many “in the moment” Korean superstars who would do wonders to promote Jeju! I actually like Rain, but it’s just that he and Jeju have no commonality, at least for 2006. Oh well, nobody ever said that A had to communicate with B. And honest to goodness, I have no idea how I got off on this tangent.
Ay, whatever.
Family, you’ll then just have to work harder to support BYJ, okay? Take matters in your own hands.
Mission?
Simple.
Go twice, not once, this year to Jeju!! That will surely make the mark! Heehee
Hey, I hope it really happens for some of you. Have fun!

Oh……I’m getting so excited about the new drama. Is it the end of January yet? Is it?

(Source of all pics: KTO)

8 comments:

bbmag said...

hee... ya, it was your turn to blog :p

hee.... i was quite glad about the change of filming venue myself. i mean, it's loads easier to go to jejudo than mongolia. to me, at least.

yea, you're right about jeju being the honeymooners' destination. alot of korean newlyweds pop over for their honeymoon there. how do i tell? ha, well, the bride would typically head for the airport after the wedding with her beehive bridal hairdo still intact. and... the other telltale sign: the newlyweds like to wear couple tee shirts :p

really! i kid you not! just open your eyes the next time you're at the gimpo airport and you'll know what i mean.

so, my dear mishio, when are you planning your TWO trips to jejudo huh?

Toujours_BYJ said...

Hi mishio, I would like to translate about Vesoul festival for you but the website is actually down.
Hope that the flu I got will finish soon too, I'm so tired to fight againts fever and cough.
The pics you post make me wanting to visit this place.

LoveJoyPeace said...

Hi mishio
mee too.

mishio said...

hi bb-
I just can't picture a gazillion fangirls with BYJ on their chest roaming around in the Mongolian desert, can you?

No kidding? Beehive hairdos still? This, I gotta see :)

Hey, something tells me you'll be first to volunteer to go more than once!! A little track record, maybe? hee
Afterall, it's not for us, it's for this noble mission, right?
For us NA folks, it's always such a big deal. You know how it is...a sudden announcement, 2 weeks max to decide and make a run for it! But our lovely VCR sis have been planning and planning their own trip for months. The more people, the more considerations, but ultimately, if they get it all worked out,it'll be in the summer and it's sure as heck gonna be some kind of trip since it'll be a first for a lot of them.

marissa said...

hi,

Actually I was not surprised when they announced the change of location from Mongolia to Jeju. In fact I was joking with Mariko a few months back that you are really a die hard fan if you intend to follow his in the outbacks of Mongolia during winter season (they initially mentioned Nov. as beggining of shoot) living in a tundra with temp. of -40C. Maybe KTO made a deal with the producers because they are aware of the economic benefits that they can get just by making sure that BYJ shoots in Korea.

I'm also a fan of Bi but I was never aware that he is the ambassador of KTO for Jeju. I can't see the connection either.

mishio said...

Hi camille-
I replied on our blog also.
First, get well! Sorry, I didn't realize you were still under the weather. Don't bother about the translation, dear!
Hugs

mishio said...

hi marissa,

yes - Jeju is sooooo much easier for the die-hard fans, thank goodness. About Rain, sorry I was not clear. He is the designated KTO travel ambassador for 2006 - this is for all of Korea, not just Jeju. I was just voicing that I wished their 2 different campaigns had a more unified front, that's all. I was also acting like a blindfolded BYJ-affected fool....

LoveJoyPeace said...

Hi Camille
Hope you get well soon. Maybe you can try drinking lots of water with Honey. Take care.