Friday, November 23, 2007

Model Behavior

| Track details | eSnips Social DNA

A friend made a nice, off-handed comment to me the other day...it was routine, nothing out of the ordinary, but somehow it made me realize how differently I, and I think most people, react to compliments related to our external appearances, depending on who the giver is.

I haven't any idea but is this normal?

My Model Conversation/Responses
  • A) Compliment from gal:

Gal: "That looks great on you."

Me: "Hey, thanks! Got it on last week at ..... Oh, did you hear about the sale they're having at .....? And what do you think of this buckle here? Neat, huh?" ..............and blah, blah, blah. Usually end up engaging in endless girl-talk for some reason.
  • B) Compliment from dude:
Dude: "You look great today!"

Me: "Uhh..................thanks."
I ...............zip off before the flaming cheeks can be detected, but secretly feel just a bit more radiant for the rest of the day.

  • C) Compliment to dude:

Me: "Cute tie!" Just a knee-jerk reaction to a nice article of clothing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dude, I mean Dud thinks to himself: "Are you hitting on me?"

  • D) Finally, compliment from dude to dude:

Sorry, of course I have no personal experience, me being not a dude. (haha, some might argue, however, by my table manners!). Although there are guys that are perfectly ok with this, I don't know many. Most of the ones I know kind of wig out a little when they receive compliments from fellow men. I'm sure a lot of it is is the whole stereotypical masculinity image thing at work.

I have to admit that when I incidentally overhear a conversation like that at the office, I still stop and take notice. It really isn't that common, you know. The last time I witnessed this scenario, contrary to how I had imagined I would react, I actually thought it was kind of pleasant that men could be that comfy with each other. Without getting into any of the nuances, I do think it takes quite a pretty self-assured man and someone who's really comfortable in his skin to pull that off well..... regardless of whether that man is on the receiving or giving end of the compliment.

Anyway, status quo. just more babbling, but it was interesting to me anyway.

BTW, recently I was chatting with someone who happened to mention that at DanYang (sp?) where our YJ had been filming on and off these last few days, the fan crowd had been more energetic than usual? Two days ago, it was a holiday of some sort in baeland, and an unrelated tour group was passing through the area. Six big long tour buses in total, carrying high school teenagers - they must not have been more than 15 years old or so. When they heard that "BYJ Oppa" and the TWSSG troup was filming there, they quickly abandoned whatever itineary left for the day and all hurriedly jumped down to join the fans in line to wait for him! They were having so much fun, peeking here and there, just trying to catch a glimpse of their newfound hero! And they were both boys and girls. Even when it got late, they lingered and refused to leave. Such new fans and already die-hards like the veterans, huh? :)


I don't know about you, but doesn't that make you feel toasty warm in the heart somehow? For one, I am genuinely so glad that he has finally won over such a large new contingent of local fans, not to say that he didn't have many fans before. Remember in his early days when he used to run into young girls waiting for him as he walked home everyday? He always encouraged them to focus on their studies,and to pay attention to the real priorities in life. And I think he had said, during his early days, that he chose to stay free and clear of certain not-so-kosher hangouts, because he did not want to set a bad example for his fans. I just love (again) how, even then, he was and still is, one of the few people who takes his celebrity role model status as seriously as they all should.

I heard in Jeju, it was kind of similar too. After waving goodbye to the fans leaving the main set in Jeju, his car passed a group of adoring school children a ways down the street. There, he stopped the car a second time and even rolled down the window and conversed with them for a seemingly long time! Hee, one of my friends felt a twinge of jealousy for maybe a split second as she looked on from faraway, but of course she too quickly recognized, it was all good. All very good for him and them both!


There's something so intrinsically wonderful about a bunch of young kids, i.e. the next generation, looking up to him so much, ya? He is after all, such a perfect specimen of a role model, and I'm thrilled to no end that the kids have such a good eye and taste, in addition to having such a positive inspiration in their lives. Call me conservative ( I admit!), but guess not all young people fancy the dirt-talking, rules-breaking gangsta type artists out there as I had begun to believe. And here I thought I had a generation gap with these kids. They proved me wrong - they too know how to appreciate a good thing when they see it :)

Yup, yup - he is really hard to resist, no? How does anyone not like this man when they see/hear about/watch him?

Anyway, as our YJ was leaving the set at DanYang 2 days ago, from his car he somehow caught sight of some of these young highschoolers amongst his other most loyal fans. I suppose they didn't have great places to stand and line up, since they had arrived much later, and the crowd on hand had already filled up the exit line well.

I swear, our YJ has demonstrated some of the best eyesight and awareness of his surroundings that I've ever seen in a human (tell me again....why does he wear glasses again? haha. Good thing he seems to abandon them more often these days!). You know, when his car drives by, it's not a lot of time, right? Somehow, he manages to notice the young fans, and consciously angled his head back and around, just to make sure they got a fair view of him from their obscure little corner!

Ahhhhh....such a small little move, but so big in meaning.........it is always those little thoughful things like these and the fact that they seem so second-nature to him (because it is the true nature in him) that make me feel that I will be "chained" to him for the rest of my life! :)


Good thing that he took the time to give these kids kind attention too.

Or else he would have missed the young boys' special message to him.

Screaming at the top of their lungs, they were saying, "YJ Oppa! Aju Modissoyo!" :)

Hee, the boys shouted out to let our YJ know how handsome he is!

Yeah, that's right folks. Those were dudes complimenting dudes!

Ah, these boys show promise alright! Impeccable taste, young lads!

Errrrrrrrrrr...you don't suppose he would sweat bullets wigging out in the car afterwards, would he? hahaha

Hee,actually he responded by grinning them a really good one.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....I wonder if our YJ felt a bit more radiant for the rest of that day, or not? :)

How does that Right Said Fred song go again?
You know, the one that sings, "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt, so sexy it hurts!" hahahahahaha


***************

BTW, my friends also told me that our YJ made something like 4 costume changes that day at DanYang- filming only short snippets in each of those outfits. So,.......that means..........you figured it out too right? That would seem to mean that they must be done with all the formal shooting of the episodes, and are just going back and doing re-dos on some minor scenes, right? Wow!!! Way to go,TWSSG team! And thank goodness he's almost done!

13 comments:

bbmag said...

hi hi!

happy thanksgiving to you too!

enjoyed that post thoroughly... loved the earlier bits and how you threaded those bits into nice bae-bits :p

p.s. i heard otherwise... that they're still rushing with the shooting and nope, not so near the end as we all would want him to be.

but i sure hope you're right and i've heard wrong in this case :p

fighting, yong joon!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mishio,

I'm Yee, thanks to BB I am visiting your site very often. But this is the first time I comment.
Nice posting and I love to read about the young fans of our Joon.
So happy to know he is loved by all ages, both gender and all races. So proud to be his fan.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mishio,

I'm Yee, thanks to BB I am visiting your site very often. But this is the first time I comment.
Nice posting and I love to read about the young fans of our Joon.
So happy to know he is loved by all ages, both gender and all races. So proud to be his fan.

Toujours_BYJ said...

Hi Mishio

So Aju Modissoyo means you're handsome ?
Me too, I'm very happy that there are more and more young people who like our HRH.
Thanks mishio for sharing, I always enjoy reading your postings.

Yoko said...

Hi Mishio!
I'm Yoko from Japan.

I don't remember this is my fisrt time to write here in your blog or not.

I just coyied all those your postings from around your recent visit to Baeland. I'm really curious about your trip. Coz I also visited Seoul last October but it was the next day of his attendance of the wedding at Lotte Hotel that I arrived there. How can I express my feeling when I read about it? If only I arrived one day earlier. I could have stayed very close to Lotte Hotel if I had chosen another one......

When I went there I thought he was at Jeju. Anyway I'm a rare person who doesn't have a cellphone with me and Internet at home so it was difficult for me to get very recent info.

Have a good day!

mishio said...

hi bb,

You all good? A nice warm soak in the tub should rid oneself of all mud. :p

me too, this time, I hope i'm right and that you're wrong...but what are the chances of that, ever? haha

anyway, who knows? i'm just glad it'll be soon, regardless

mishio said...

hi Yee!
I see you at bb's house often - welcome & thanks for saying "hello." yes, if bb were to decide to charge a referral fee, i'd be in deep trouble :)

Remember reading that you have young kids, right? So, I am sure you can identify with how important it is for kids to have a swell guy like BYJ to model after huh?
Me too...infinitely proud!

mishio said...

hi camille!
ummmm....actually, my knowledge of Korean amounts to about 40 words, but with the story, came the quote, and the translation. I hope it is correct...! Actually, some of our Korean speaking sisters would have spoken up by now, I think, unless they're still suffering from the post-turkey coma!:)

Hey camille...are you memorizing that phrase for some reason? :P

mishio said...

hi hi Yoko,

If I remember correctly, there was a "Yoko" who commented here before who mentioned that she had studied a short while in Korea...would that have been you? Anyway, I'm probably wrong....just guessing!

More importantly...oh no! You were in Seoul the day after the wedding?! :( Too, too bad! But maybe you were meant to see him another way, perhaps in a much less crowded setting? :)

Funny I know a few fans that also do without cell phones when in Korea...perhaps not a bad idea...at least for the ones I know, it is the only way they can concentrate on truly enjoying the sights without being reeled into thinking about where he is all the time!

Anyway, thanks for stopping by again. I'm so glad my travel posts are of some use to other sisters! Let me know if anything isn't clear.

bbmag said...

yup, am all squeaky clean and fresh, nope, no more mud :p

and... i really really hope you're right about wrapping up fast. but haiz....

p.s. how about taipei next year? :p

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I'll be waiting for all of you coming to Taipei next year!!! How's that?
I actually just came back from Dan Yang a week ago, mishio, you are right, it seems there are more and more local younger crowd at the filming sites in these days. I remember that day HRH finished filming around 5:30pm, it was dark and freezing cold, everyone was waiting for him to come out from the make up truck, a mother with 3children (arond 7-10 years old)was standing next to me, they keep calling Joon obba, Joon obba, it's cold, please come out soon,(I understand because...I already learned those words from my Korean class :p ) within 10 minutes, YJ came out saw the kids,he walked toward them and also waved to the family, lucky me, saw HRH several times that days!!!!!

fendi

mishio said...

fendi!
so, it was you! I heard from friends about some Taiwanese fans that were on hand to visit and cheer him on last week! "Yoon Oppa"? That sounds soooo cute! Just love it!

Really wish we could hear more about your trip....... :(

Anonymous said...

Hey hey hey, yes it's me! Cheer him on?? Hmmmm...I hope so!!
This was my very first time to see HRH in person, I was quite lucky able to saw him several times in this trip, think that I took over your luck??? Just kindding :)


fendi