Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Him and Me at the Park

Been really feeling the travel bug bites lately – wonder if the production announcement of “The Great Kings” has anything to do with this? Duh! No need to answer.

Well, one thing I know is inevitable. This year, I just gotta, gotta get me over to Korea. Have been such the living example of delayed gratification when it comes to rewarding myself with these things, but those million other priorities in this task-driven life will just have to take a backseat for a bit. At least, that’s what my willing and able newfound travel buddies and NA baesisters say anyway.

So this week, in my search for interesting travel destinations, I find myself coming across quite a bit of press relating to “Hallyuwood.” Of course, you all know that this is the big K-pop culture theme park that they’re building over in Goyang, Geyonggi Province. All the hoopla must be because they’ve finally broken ground in the end of 2005 and are actively pursuing more development partners at this time. This theme park is big news and big money – 74 acres in size and when all is said and done, something like 2 trillion Won ($1.95 billion US) will have been invested. Seems like they’re a little bit behind schedule to make their projected completion date of 2008, but supposedly parts of the park will be open as they get done – so, as early as late 2006, there may be a new playground for fans of all Korean drama/film. In addition to the theme park, blueprints are in the works to include an international business center, water park, Hallyu museum, Hallyu support center, mini Chinatown and Little Tokyo, hotels, and drama/film production studios and facilities.

It’s funny, but I’ve actually never been a huge fan of theme parks. I go to be social, but don’t particularly seek them out, especially after being shocked dumb and purple by that ridiculously horrible great white shark, hurling itself at me with its gigantic “JAWS” at Universal Studios when I was a tot. Scared the living daylights out of me. But, Hallyuwood? This quite possibly may change my mind.

First of all, the ability to carry this off well would probably be of landmark significance in the Asian entertainment business as a whole, being a true symbol of coming-of-age for the entire industry and signifying an ability to stand on its own two feet. As Mr. Sohn (no, not that Mr Sohn) said (via Reuters news, 2/3/06), “(Hallyuwood will) ultimately create an East Asian culture that will hold its own against a Western culture that is championed by Hollywood," said Sohn Hak-kyu, governor of Kyonggi province, at a press conference on Tuesday.”
This is definitely something worth supporting.

Why else do I wanna go there? Very simple really. Based on what I’ve read, they’ve really considered my and your needs in building this thing (haha, didn’t mean to sound so egocentric!).
Check out my itinerary (all these are true, as reported in the news :Yonhap, kukminilbo,munwa).

Let’s see:

Stop #1: Stay at Yonsama Hotel. Sleep in one of "his" beds. Oh my - I may never rise again from the sweet coma. Don't matter - coma or not, it'd be with a silly smile plastered on my face. :) :)

Stop #2: Gawk , and make goo-goo, ga-ga noises as I walk down the entire BaeYong Joon Street . Over. And Over again! Pity the poor cleaners who will have to follow us drooling fans with a mop.

Stop #3: Take a guided tour of the park with BYJ. (Hee, I wonder how many fans will be walking in circles, unable to concentrate on the instructions.) Well, it’s only by cell-phone. And it’s only a pre-recorded tape. But it’s definitely gonna be his voice! Imaginary partner is better than nothing, right?! I’ll probably be arrested for stealing that tape home.

Stop #4: Stop at Souvenir store and cart home more exclusive “character driven” BYJ thingy’s. Start saving those pennies now!

Stop #5: Catch a short clip or possibly full run of a BYJ movie at the multi-plex cinemas. Hmmm… I wonder which theatre is gonna be most packed?

Stop #6: Sneak into the Studios and casually bump into BYJ. Yeah…right. OK, OK – no guarantees, but they are trying to get the big studios to move in and produce drama and films from right there, just like at Universal Studios (SBS and MBC TV studios are supposedly just nearby anyways.)

Oh wait, what’s for lunch?

Heard there'll be a CJW restaurant and a LeeYoungAe cooking place. Maybe they’ll serve BYJ themed meals too?
(remember this Quilt post last year?? I just remembered and just had to......hahaha)

All in all, doesn't this sound like a fun day, gals? Sure hope they deliver everything as promised.

You know, I didn’t like this cartoon at first glance, but ya, I do think the cartoonist was right afterall- I must say I look quite like one of those star-crazed ladies at this moment.....

Wishing you all great travel plans this year!

("See" ya all next week - will be busy with my cousin's wedding this weekend!)

7 comments:

Toujours_BYJ said...

Hi mishio,
ha ha I love love the stop#1 and #3.
Have a nice week-end with your cousin's wedding and see you next week.

LoveJoyPeace said...

Hi Mishio
SOLD! I am on my way to the theme park. Hope you are my tour guide holding that recorder. For once wouldn't mind walking in circle with you there to entertain me. Sure love it. Great IDEA! *@*

LoveJoyPeace said...

hey Mishio,
I found some pretty good bargain on the google ads on my blog for Chejudo. Seems like lots of goodies on the ads.

bbmag said...

haha... maybe they'll take a cue from disneyland and have k-star characters walking around the park... so, we may bump into 'yong joon' after all!

picture! picture! picture!

marissa said...

Mishio,

You had me laughing while imagining doing everything you've written.

Enjoy your week-end!

mishio said...

Sorry for late replies -busy like crazy lately.
Hi camille - thanks - wedding went swell. And my favorite stops are those 2 also!

Joyce - when the park opens, I promise to be your tourguide! Wouldn't that be great fun?

hi bb - BYJ in the form of a stuffed suit? Great to hug anyway. Would never be as cute as the cartoon characters like Mickey, right?

marissa - sad part is that i'll probably look that silly doing all those things!

mishio said...

whoops - forgot something...
joyce & bb -
challenge lost! i'll just wave the white flag for now, okay? Ms Mo Yung has no guts to post pics, sorry. Maybe...in 3 years?