No, no and no.
Another sister dashed up, "Go down immediately!"
Dashed back down as ordered. I was met by an angel by the name of Rieko (how can I ever thank you enough?!) running towards me, "Here, M, I've been looking for you everywhere. Take this, and GO!!!!!" I can't remember exactly what happened, nor did I understand any of it. I just know that in one motion, she helped me pull off anything with BYJ off my body and literally sent me to a running start with a big encouraging push! In this direction....

To the right of the la
dy above - yes, it's the entrance to the press conference!
Now, I've developed a nickname on this trip. Everyone seems to have referred to me at one time or another as "Mo yung" which is chinese for "useless, good for nothing," but in an affectionate, teasing kind of a way (you all are teasing, right?.....hello?......heehee). I admit it.
The room was intimidating - a lot of big guys with big professional cameras - I was scared out of my mind. Didn't know why I was there, if I was supposed to be there, how I got there, or if any of the guards were going to arrest me for trespassing.
It was late by the time I got in and the press conference was in full swing. I timidly looked around for a place, any place to deposit myself. As you've heard by now, the front section of the room was taped off, so I could only stay in the back half of the room. A lot of people were standing and blocking the view. Then I looked around for cues - remember all those pics of people standing on the chairs. Well, I had to resort to being one of them.
Up I went. Still not the best view. There was a lot of talking by the Mandarin speaking moderator whom I can barely understand.
Then, silence.....
And then he spoke.........
That faraway, yet strangely familiar deep melody which we have all come to love, now resonated clearly and beautifully throughout the room.

My viewfinder shot over in that direction, as if it had a mind of its own, finding its way to the most magnificent sight in the room. It was locked in and refused to budge. I stared at this amazing presence for the longest time, not able to hear anything, feel anything, completely and utterly dumbfounded.
"Hello" I said in my heart.
Dear YJ, there you are.........................finally.
Suddenly, my anxiety dissipated. All was well again.
It didn't matter that I didn't understand what was going on in the room. It didn't matter I can barely see you. Nor that the room was not fit for your reception.
Instead my anxiety was replaced by a complete sense of calm, strangely comfortable and utterly serene.
This was not the earth-shattering moment that I imagined I would have at all.

But oh, but what a defining moment for me.
So, this is how I care for you, YJ-ssi. Not the pulse-racing, heart palpitating, palms-clammy, butterflies-in-stomach kind at all. More like that of old familiar acquaintainces. Whether I see you tomorrow, or never again, it wouldn't matter. It is enough that I hear about your happenings from time to time from friends and family. Unobtrusively and naturally, thoughts of you would pop into my mind, invariably drawing a smile to my face. Whether near or far away, you know you can count on us to give you hope and lend you faith when you are feeling low,and to walk the rest of that winding path with you.

No comments:
Post a Comment