Monday, December 25, 2006

Foreword

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I just want to go on the record as having said this. For some reason I am still having second thoughts about doing a trip report. Partly because I'm swamped, also because I didn't take many pictures this time around, but mostly because I think that some of these happy reports contribute to an over-glamourization of the whole process. Sometimes when all we hear about are all these lucky experiences, I think it must skew the reality a bit for many fans back home.

While each and everyone of us undoubtedly experiences many highs and lows on any given vacation, and more highs than lows I should hope, and while we found time to do a whole lot of other fun non-BYJ related things, most of what becomes share-worthy to the public forums end up being those tiny condensed fractions of the trip that the family would want to hear about. That usually boils down to those details surrounding BYJ sightings most of the time. Now, I suppose none of you want to hear long-winded details about the "n" hours before he appeared, how people passed the time, how many times we went to the bathroom, what kinds of old forgotten snacks I dug up in my jacket pockets, nor what kinds of bugs I swatted off the plants that I stood behind...That is true, isn't it? :)

At work or at play, we are all on different levels in terms of intensity. It's part of the diversity of human nature - I can totally appreciate and understand that difference. But on this trip, I met some gals whose expectations were so high and unrealistic - I guess I just had trouble relating to that. There were those who almost behaved like they deserved to not just catch a glance of BYJ, but even meet him on a more personal basis, or be treated extra special, just because they had to "sacrifice" so much, personally or financially, to get there. Some would go far enough to register complaints with the tourist and/or group guides. It's really strange to me.

Here's a wake-up call. All, and I mean ALL of us, had to give up something or shoulder some expense to get there. For every compelling story you have, I can find another sister with another story even more so. Gazillions of people have gone before and come home disappointed. Remember what the writer from lck.com wrote on 12-04-06? Those were words from an objective bystander. And those words were sooooo on the mark.

So, please note that all I wanna do is share some of my fun, fun times with ya, but the last thing I want to do is propagate the idea that it's that easy to catch a glimpse of our YJ, okay? Really takes a lot of time, luck, will, and most of all fate.

Oh...one more thing...is everyone really not interested in whether or not I ate any of the expired snacks I found rummaging through my many pockets? :)

3 comments:

bbmag said...

hey, me too... i also think all these trip reports and BYJ-sighting postings kindda over-glamourized the whole thing, and... make everything sound so breezy.

now we all know about the hours of waiting for those minutes or seconds of BYJ sightings, don't we? maybe we should write more about the agony of waiting and waiting, instead of gushing excitedly and waxing lyrical about how our hearts skipped ten beats when he did appear :p

guess that's why i 'peppered' my own trip report with tales of how so many fans went home disappointed...

and yea! i know exactly what you mean! so many people think they're so deserving of meeting him, or seeing him up close and personal, or what...?! having dinner with him...!!

me too, don't get it... how is one fan more deserving of his attention than the other? don't we all love him? we may choose to support him in different ways, and some of us may not make the journey to see him, but that doesn't mean those who stay home love him less.

and... i totally don't get it when people say 'hey, bb, you deserve to see him!'

if i see him, well and good, and i thank my lucky stars. but if i don't, i don't beat myself over it.

anyhow, whatever the case, i'm still very glad you've decided to do this, mishio. thanks :)

bbmag said...

hey byjglobal...

don't get me wrong, i really really really appreciate all the sisters' warm wishes that i do get to see him. but i do what i do coz i enjoy doing it. YJ has not asked me to blog, or to translate, or whatever... it's my choice... since it's my choice and my decision, i do not see why i deserve to see him. besides, i don't do what i do coz i want or expect special treatment. but really, i do appreciate fellow fans' warm wishes :)

p.s. yea, mishio writes so well huh? hehe, like you, i only wish she blogs abit more. just abit more will do. can't expect everyone to blog as often as i do la... i'm not the 'normal' benchmark :p

mishio said...

hee hee-
sounds like byjglobal has been doing some intensive analysis on "how to best see YJ"! I'm glad it worked out for you......

Well, everyone's got their own take on this, and it's all fine......gosh knows that bb has done a lot - (my hats off to her!), but maybe "deserve" is just the wrong word coz the connotation is wee bit more selfish, I guess. I just believe that good things come to those who put in the efforts, so if bb gets lucky, I'd smile and figure that the world is in order.

Anyway, what's this "she takes too much break if you know what I mean" business, huh? Why does it sound like I was spanked somehow? What???? In my own blog house you said that ???? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
:)