Thursday, June 08, 2006

A Girl's Best Friend

I guess it doesn't have to be diamonds anymore. Jewelry, really, of any kind will do fine as a girl's best friend. Rubies, sapphires, crystal, silver, plastic....you name it. For most women like me, as long as it decorates us, it'll do. Any sparkle or shine...save maybe an oily face (haha), will always do me good. You know, anything to improve on this dowdy self :)

So, I guess it's no surprise that jewelry has also been quite the significant bonding gift for us ladies. I remember well back to that day, that very very first special time I was on the receiving end of the beautiful generosity of this family. OMG, how could I not? Secretly, I had been wishing for that Polaris necklace ever since I watched WLS. In those days, I certainly didn't realize how customary it is for the one or two symbolic items from hit K-dramas to be mass marketed as part of the series promotion. But back then, I was not an online fan at all and didn't even know this whole vast network existed. Come to think of it, it wasn't so long ago that I didn't even know where to buy any goods or ever heard of the word Yesasia. And haha, sometimes I wish I never found about about those little7 alphabets which have managed to elicit a distress signal or two from my dear bank account along the way. But......there's no turning back now. Anyway, as someone asked for advice earlier about where to purchase GQ, I somehow recalled with fondness that my very first piece of BYJ paraphenelia (other than movie DVD's of course) was actually that cute shiny stary Polaris necklace. Call me superstitious, but somehow along the way, I've taken to wearing this necklace for "good luck" for some reason.

Since then, I've not been able to resist accumulating a few more "medals" and "decorations." I guess it's no secret that BYJ family almost universally wear pinkie rings now...well, maybe not everyday, but it's a habit that many would not have picked up if not for him. Yeah, me got a few too.

What about bands of solidarity? What I mean is that anywhere you get a cluster of close sisters, it seems like they've come up with their own unique identifying signage too. See this cute picture here? hee, hope they don't mind me exposing their beautiful arms and hands.... :)

That's what the VCR sisters wear. Rather than anything exclusionary (you can go down to the store and make one easily), it's served as a symbol of unity for a neat bunch of ladies up there all these years. Hee, me got one too!
haha - for flying up there for the Vancouver International Film Festival screening of April Snow last year, I was so very thrilled to be inducted as an "honorary VCR sis." And you don't know how much that meant, especially since I felt lost then, not knowing any sis nearby. Although it's impossible to keep close touch with all of them, I'm sure a few of them will remain my friends for life.

What about you all? Is there a special something that your circle of BYJ family all wear together? Care to share? Would love to see it...

Anyway, since I kinda "owe" camille a few pics of my purchases from my last trip, I might as well start posting a few here to keep my word. Sorry, camille, I've felt kinda bad about this, but better late than never.

For those who have not been to Park BOF, oh dear shopaholics, please be forewarned. First of all, bring cash. They don't take anything else, and I'd hate for any of you moved souls to be disappointed.
I'm not sure...you might have seen these before... but did you know they came out with special Park BOF chains and band jewelry too?
Classic case of mind saying "no, no, no" but heart exclaiming a resounding "YES!"
So who won? You be the judge... Hee this is a lapel pin they've got - it's very affordable, can't remember...maybe like 3 bucks?
Comes in gold and silver. Kinda small though, so I can't show it well. That goes next to my pink ribbon pin from now on. Sorry, it's hand to see but that's with my masterful photography skills maxed out already.
The top arc reads "Park BOF." The bottom arc ,"The BOF Family House." - nice name, huh?
The middle there are the etched initials of "BYJ."

And this band? Simple but kinda cool and a popular style of late. Made pretty sturdy and in 2 widths - obviously a wider band with a bigger plate for those with stronger, thicker arms, and a more narrow one for the petite gals.



Can't make it out? Yeah, says "Park BOF" on the front plate there as well.

They've even got a chunky silver chain one too but my arm would be threatened with paralysis if it had to carry the weight of that big thing with every motion of the hand. It's out of my budget anyway - I'd be insane to spend that much. So if you see me wearing a big chunky chain sometime in the future, make the diagnosis and commit me to an asylum already. Still, I wish I could show you a pic but my friend M bought the very last one on her recent trip to Korea, and she's not really computer literate so she has not be able to upload a pic for me. And can't vouch for her sanity for that matter either, for spending that kind of bucks. hahaha - kidding again - but only because i know i can get away with it. Remember, she isn't computer savvy so there's no way she will never see my blog! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

:)

Hmmmm.....what else?

Oh yeah, remember the wonderful wonderful cause that YJ-ssi suppports with AVON in Japan? Some of you already know darn well that the cause of Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention is so very near and dear to my heart. So how can I resist contributing to such a worthy cause?
No, I'm not talking about the lipsticks....last I checked, lipsticks aren't classified as jewelry :)
Seen the pink ribbon bracelets made by AVON yet? Well, no BYJ inscribed on it or anything, so maybe that's why I haven't seen sisters plaster these over and over again over the net. But hey, it's for a really good cause, and it was launched as part of his whole campaign. So there...just enough rationalization to buy....yet another bracelet??



I am seriously getting out of hand.

And hee, really out of hands! Only got 2 - how am I supposed to don all these bracelets on any given day? In my next life, I shall wish to be an octopus.

***********************************

Oh dear - what's with all this flushing and palpitations? Either this is a preview of what menopause has in store for me (errr....don't like it one bit!) or I'm nervous as heck. I get to find out how I fared in the competition for that extra part-time job in the next few days. Hopefully good 'ol Polaris around the neck worked its lucky charm again! Wish me good luck!

12 comments:

bbmag said...

i've one of those VCR bracelet too! love YJ, it says.... lovely thing, no? but gotta confess, i haven't wore it, though i would take it out from time to time just to look at it fondly and smile before putting it away again...

and... pinky ring is a 'permanent thing' with me now. i wear one everyday. but wuri yong joon wears his on this left hand, and i wear it on my right. i've gotten so used to it that i feel funny when one day some two weeks ago i forgot to wear it out and it didn't take me five minutes to realise i forgot to wear it.

oh boy, i really really really have to get to that park bof someday.

marissa said...

I just came from a late lunch date with my baesisters and our common denominator is our BYJ cellphone chains. I have a Park BOF cellphone chain and a pin (both gifts) and well as the breast cancer pin that comes with the AVON lipstick also a gift, hahaha I love my friends for knowing my hearts desire.

mishio said...

hee bb-
better question: WWWHat don't you have?? :)

As for rings, my stubbly fingers would like to confess that rings still look better on every other digit but the 5th (makes my hands look even stubbly-er), so I opted for vanity instead, haha.

mishio said...

hi there marissa

Ah! cellphone chains! Cool! So all the Baewatch gals have the same one? I actually haven't seen the Park BOF one before. Wanna see!!

bbmag said...

mishio, there're actually lots i don't have :p

ain't the collector sort of fan, actually...

Toujours_BYJ said...

Hi Mishio
Thank you for showing me some pics of your purchases, as you said, it's better late than never but it makes me turn green of envy now.
I want to go I want to go to Korea and Japan, but I have to save money before.

Anonymous said...

Hi mishio,

Thanks for sharing these great finds. They all look so pretty and dainty, make me want to have one of each (not that I can afford it). So 'cash only' in Park BOF eh? Would they detain me there if I don't have any? Or better yet - will Yong Joon detain me if I don't pay up? ;) Ummmm .... should I try??

It's so nice to see the Vancouver sisters have such a strong bond - wearing the same bracelet! Love to hear your stories about the other sisters.

take care .....jaime

mishio said...

hi there jaime-
yeah...cute stuff, really couldn't refuse!
Hee, at BOF, they're really nice over there, those young helpers and managers. Maybe you can try to barter for services...I hear there's a few things you're good at...let's see...stand up comedy act? or just offering to dust YJ's faces on the wall perhaps? :)

marissa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
marissa said...

mishio,

here's the link to the photo of the Park BOF cellphone chain I got.
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4071/bofcellphonechain0lb.jpg

mishio said...

wow-thanks much marissa. Ah...now I have an idea what we're talking about. Similar emblem, huh? Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Um hmmm..... mishio, there are actually many services I can offer. However, they are strictly between me and Yong Joon in the privacy of my own 'sick' mind!!! So, to avoid running the risk of polluting your clean and innocent blog, I'd better stop here! ok?

take care .... jaime