Saturday, January 19, 2008

O.O ?

O ?!

Ottoke?? !!

ONJE??? !!!

Everyone will have an inkling for something from their past at some point in their lives, I suppose. Some even live in their past more often than not, but that's a totally different subject. Sometimes - a couple times a year--, My stomach talks to me and I'd just be struck with a sudden uncontrollable urge to drive miles and miles just to get to this tiny, now quiet restaurant in my old neighborhood, and just to have that one specific dish that I loved as a kid. Me...a nostalgic fool. And me...a piggy who'll sacrifice time for only one thing (and no one) - and that's food.

And there are more on my list --- that one specific seaside stand for my F&C's, that one yogurt place where I'll have my strawberry and Oreo mix-ins, and so forth. And my special favorite parfaits - gotta be from that branch of that store in that corner of town. You get the pic - ky -errr...I mean, pic-ture.

It's not like it tastes better or anything. It's just that it makes me feel better. Way better. Way, way down there in the core of my being. What brings it on, these random whims? No idea.

Once in a while, I'll get the inevitable surprise/disappointment that the establishment has changed hands. Or no longer exists. Or that the owner got struck with the brilliant idea to revamp the entire menu. Like I did today.

That usually sends me spiraling into some 4 letter-filled monologue. <-- OK, kidding. I ain't that bad! Yeah...guess restaurants and all retail outlets have to keep a cool and fresh image and stay on the cutting edge of trends, not to be eliminated by the ever-fleeting tastes of consumers. And I know that people move on and that restaurant owners don't live forever....gee, if they were working when I was just a teeny-bopper, what makes me think that they'll do this forever? Call me non-progessive...but as neat as it is to invent and create new things, must we really wipe out the past stuff too? Some change is definitely good, but these days, when we go to my fav dim-sum place, they've got every edible fruit of the sea can be found stuffed in fancy dumplings in funky combinations and then some............just that it's darn hard to find a cart with the original basic hargows. Weird. Anyway, has anyone visited the GORILLA website lately?

Photobucket

O!

Ottoke??

ONJE???

Someone's been up to no good again, stirring up the menu and turning everything inside out :) There's only some traces of the past left....

Naturally, I sweated bullets as I flipped through the lists.....

HAH!!!

HAH HAH!!!

Found it!

Good boy, Restaurant Master! Of the few recognizable items left, my reliable go-to dish was preserved! Oh.......good boy, how did you know? I fly miles and miles just to taste that lovely dish, ya know?! Thank you! :)

Yeah, yeah, no need to risk over-flooding the Han River with mishio's tears over these menial things, right?

(Awh?........they changed the prawn/scallop pasta into a rice dish?)


Photobucket


What's better? Heaven knows I live for deserts. Finally......there's more yummy selections now...just the perfect excuse to sit and hang out a little longer :)

And better than better? Heehee - they're ZERO calorie foods ! My, my - YJssi- can do magic after all! =p


Photobucket


Know now the airline mags always seen have articles recommending sights to visit at the destination that you're flying to? Don't know about you, but as soon as I park myself on the airplane flight, before the seatbelt is even fastened, I find myself pouring through all the mags at the speed of lighting. Flipping throught the articles and glorious images, it's as if the excitement of the trip has begun before you even land. Hey, any which way to extend the trip, right? :)

ASIANA's Oct 2007 In flight Mag had a spread about what to do, if you had one and only 'One day in Seoul".
HARU? That means you've got to make the most and best of your time, right? 3 meals, and that's it. And.....? Of course, GORILLA was on the recommended list. And there's an ever-increasing number of independent business traveler pieces that reference GORILLA these days. Seriously, search the net and see for yourself.


GORILLA seems to have quietly transformed itself from a novelty and celebrity-gawking/fan-gathering funhouse into a respected spot for good quality dining. That fact that HRH hardly hangs out there anymore is definitely helping. But bottom line, the constant effort that goes into researching and developing new and healthy dining choices is certainly paying off. Seriously, GORILLA hasn't seen its 2nd birthday yet, and the menu's changed how many times?



Grief, grief, grief - can't eat fast enough, lah! Yes, guess it is HIS restaurant after all, and his constant-work-in-progress philosophy shines there in this extension of himself as well.

OK. It's all and well, as long as my fav food item still lives to see another day. Or...it'll be knuckle sandwich, you hear? :)
***********

Speaking of food....wanna do a good deed rather than chow-down meaninglessly all day? Yep, many unfortunate places where basic daily needs are far from being met.

Click on this website below - click on the picture, and you'll be taken to a vocabulary building game/quiz sponsored by the United Nations World Food Program. Just match the word at the top middle of the screen with the correct definition (multiple choice below; click on the word to answer).

It's really fun, you learn a ton, and for every word you get right, sponsors will donate much too needed grains to impoverished areas of the world.

I love it!!!!!!

It'll be on my side bar from now on, if you ever want to stop by and enrich yourself, enrich someone's life. Lovely premise - and everyone wins!
Enjoy & AJA!

9 comments:

gosijo said...

Hi Mishio,

Mmmmm, all this food talk reminds me of several favourites of my own. I wonder if the ABC chain of family restaurants in British Columbia, Canada, still serves the outta-this-world blueberry pie I had there over a decade ago! For breakfast!! Every morning during our week-long stay!!!

I don't believe it had 0 Kcal, though. Sigh!

mishio said...

O! Gosijo!
Bursting my bubble so early in the game?!!
Haha - ya, I was just poking fun at the person who forgot to update the website with the calorie info on those deserts. (perhaps intentional?)

But then again, you haven't a calorie to worry about, my dear :)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....blueberry pie, eh? only problem...those blue tongue and teeth stains!

Anonymous said...

mishio

Whenever i visit Boston, my sis and her hubby take me to a very good Afghanistan restaurant which I love much and the place is always packed with some CEOs and famous scholars and foods are really good.

They bake or grill with some tasty herbs and after tastes is quite good.

Now I remember it's very much like the food at Gorilla.

Ahaa! I think I know that it's part of health foods and similar concepts of making. I don't know how they make them, but I know the tastes are similar.

byjglobal

mishio said...

hi byjglobal -
Strong memories undoubtedly encorporate our many senses - smell, sight, sounds.....

You...being a good cook...would probably appreciate GORILLA's dining choices better than a horde like me...

bbmag said...

okay... as if mishio's posting ain't enuff to make my stomach growl and my mouth water, byjglobal has to add fuel to fire! i just love love love anything cooked with herbs, hehe, especially bread-stuff like naan cooked with herbs.... ah...

keke, thank goodness i don't have a thing for blueberry pies :p

Anonymous said...

Hi girls,

Let me say something about the blueberry pie! For the Tokyo Hilton's first ever made (in Japan)
blueberry pie, I often extended my lunch break voluntarily hehe. It was about 30 years ago...Japan was still enjoying its economic growth.
Oh, is it way before you were born? Sorry!

Mishio, thank you for the link to Free Rice, I'm almost addicted. It's so nice you enjoy, you learn a lot (I can't do this without
my electronic dictionary though) and still you can contribute.

cloud nine

mishio said...

hi cloudnine -
us women & sweet things - ahh....so yummy on one hand, so harmful for the waistline on the other! glad to know we all enjoy these similar cravings.

so glad that you liked the "free rice" link - i'm addicted too :P

mishio said...

hi bb-
missed your comment before somehow...

ah...if food is not our weakness, what is? OK. Nevermind. It starts with B. Ends with YJ. :)

Aw...c'mon....pastry packed with deep, dark blue, sweet filling, no?
Chongmal? :)

bbmag said...

chongmal :p
me not much of a pie person....