Tiffany & her friends are talking about pets and obsessed foodies like me & bb are stuck on our perpetual favourite topic of nourishment. Well, eating is universal and life-sustaining, so it's justified right?
Anyway, although I can't say I'm terribly picky on a daily basis, my demands do rise a few notches on vacation. I guess with a limited number of days in a brand new part of the world and a fixed number of meals x the limited number of days, I treat my meals away from home quite sacredly. Maybe even calculating & exact. Seriously, meals literally make or break the whole experience for me when I'm in a faraway land. That's until recently.......until I started going to a certain place in Asia.
To be truthful, I thank YJ-ssi for his famous restaurant, because at least now I can be rest assured that I'll have one definite good meal when I go to Seoul. You don't have to tell me...I know for a fact that really top notch dining locales exist there. But gosh, when you are sight-seeing and with your agenda packed solid, when your stomach grumbles, you simply march towards the first restaurant that catches your eye. And in this manner, I've had such a string of nothing but bad luck, ending with more "misses" than "hits" everytime I go there. I've really got to look harder...
Anyway, looking back, one of the places that I can truly say I enjoyed in Korea was Chanko Waka. Remember this Japanese chain opened by the former elite Sumo wrestler "Wakanohana" (aka Masaru Hanada)? The one that YJ-ssi graced with his presence on its opening night 09.23.2005?
(thanks makishi)
After I visited last spring, this immediately got added to my "hits" list. I so honestly looked forward to returning there. Unfortunately, one of my friends told me that the restaurant has since closed its doors. (**Correction!!! Chanko Waka IS NOT closed - see next post**) Apparently was unable to hold its own against the finer places in haughty Apgujeong and most notably drowned by a marvelous force called Gorilla a little further away. Such a brief but glorious stint........ but no worries, I guess. All is not lost. Means that I'll just have to travel a little farther to Japan where the chain is still thriving prosperously.
In any case, since my last trip, my stomach has convinced me to make its welfare a priority. I have now taken to jotting down names of interesting dining options so that that I won't have to play darts the next time I go there (here I go, planning unrealistically once again :) haha. ) Please feel free to drop me some names if you know of some great places.
I was browsing through some travel sites lately and old reliable T2K came to my rescue. In particular, this interesting topic of "eateries made famous by Korean celebrities" caught my attention. Hmmmmmmmmmmm......always wondered why entertainers always seemed to gravitate towards opening restaurants. Because it's in their nature to take care of some of human's social needs, maybe? Anyway, it's such a risky line of business and so hard to sustain in the long run....
To that end, I am supremely glad that as we quickly come upon GORILLA's one year birthday in 2+ weeks (wow, has it been a year already?!) that YJ-ssi's kitchen is not only going strong but gaining rapid momentum even as we speak. I suppose it is easy for critics to write this success off as fans' indiscriminate and blind support, and it is a fact that us loyal fans do large part to fill the seats on a daily basis over there. However GORILLA really doesn't get enough credit for being really quite popular with the locals as well. Someone went 2 weekends ago and described a terribly long line out the door at the late hour of 21:30pm. In fact, they had to give out numbers to the waiting parties, which I have to say is pretty unheard of in this upscale district. Anyway, truth be told, most of those that were waiting to get a taste of what YJ-ssi has to offer spoke fluent Korean and only Korean - they were locals and definitely not fans. Good for him (!)
Anyway, as good as Gorilla is, just wanna share here my list of "Next Food Conquests" when/if i get the chance to travel that way again. (Pal, you hear me? I wanna call the shots next time :)
Maybe you'll find one amongst here that you'd like too?
1) Tops on the list is a place called "TOVOU"
This was the one from T2K that caught my interest.
You all know who Anh Jung Hwan is right? He's the young and often controversial hottie, ummm... I mean soccer player of that now forever famous Korean national soccer team? He, who scored the winning goal in 2002 against Italy to clinch that quarterfinal World Cup spot? Hee, I distinctively remembered a lot of drooling comments about him on Quilt during the 2006 World Cup run (wasn't there a Malaysian fan who led the pack doing that? haha) Anyway, he's cute alright and what's cuter is that he has this lovely habit of kissing his wedding ring whenever he scores a goal. Must love his wife much. Nice.

Anyway, this high-profile couple have come up with a classy looking place to serve good food. OK - just look at that shrimp dish, willya? No words needed.....! Where do I run to make reservations? Rather than waste time, I've copied the T2K blurb here, if you're interested.
By the way, for those curious "you's", you can read the whole report including their review on Gorilla by clicking this .
2) NEURIGE GEOTGI
Name ring a bell?
C'mon..............think hard!

Anyway, a lot of you would have spend some hilarious moments watching that hit MBC drama called "My name is Kim samsoon" or sometimes "My lovely Sam-soon" in the summer of 2005. I know some of you blogged about liking it but as usual there were a few minority dissenters as well. In any case, I loved it thoroughly and so did the Korean locals. Hilarious and stuff ordinary people can relate to. This so-called "Bridget Jones"-esque comedy drama caused sensational buzzing all around town in Korea, scoring 40+% viewership, which although doesn't top YJ-ssi's accomplishments, is quite remarkable for TV dramas. Hyun Bin and Daniel Henney, the top and second male leads owe much of their current status to this show for sure. Ayy.......why am I going on and on? Anyway, you've gotta have watched it to understand, but in one of the earlier episodes where Sam-soon and HeeJin fought over their man (Hyun Bin) aka "SAMSHIKA!!!" (how the heck is that spelled?) - well, the restaurant where that all came down was Neurige Geotgi.
Have all BYJ fans gone to snoring yet? Or do you recognize something?
C'mon! Think harder!!!!
Gosh...I guess I can't blame you. I also guess that after Gorilla leaves you all dreamy and stuffed - the blood is all congregating around the stomach and not the head :)
You do recognize this view when you walk out of Gorilla, don't you?
Ya, this place is another "healthy" good type of restaurant...uses only natural ingredients in its preparation of good Korean fare and has a nice little centralized kitchen in the middle of the restaurant which is charming.
And.......when you exit Gorilla through those doors where so and so is planning to get lodged, voila....you are facing Neurige Geotgi right there and then! How convenient, huh? Just right across the street. Easy.
Oh...you might remember that when Ms. Root Lee blogged about her initial visit to Gorilla, she mentionned the name "Neurige Geotgi" for reference - as in, to get to Gorilla, it's just across from NG. I looked this up then, coz she dropped the word nonchalantly as if readers should know what it means, and the truth of the matter was that I was scratching my head till lines could be seen. Well, maybe I am thinking too much, but from that, I get the impression this place is well-known and more importantly, I deduced that it must serve good food. OK, I'll let you know after next time!
3) KYOCHON chicken
This, I admit, I stole from Jos'
blog last year. Lost it, then found it again, thank goodness.
Not every meal has to be the proper sit-down kind of fancy meal, right? For a quick fast-food bite and especially if you're a KFC fan, then listen up. If fried chicken is your thing, this is a place not to be missed. (Errrrrrrr....there's no good way to photograph this stuff well, is there? heehee)

As you can tell, Kyochon is a chain of friend chicken places, but one special franchise in Apgujeong is owned by Shinwa, the awesome boy band who is (still) playing in the background as we speak. I rather love their music, so double-score! Only down side is that this place is crawling with Shinwa fans all the time and snapping up all their pics, items, handprints, etc - kinda like a mini-Park BOF for Shinwa with the obvious difference being ......well, food is allowed, and pics allowed too.
Anyway, their chicken is supposed to be famous for their light, crisp but non-greasy texture, and they're marinated with their own distinct vinegar soysauce. Yum!
(Fried goods are such my downfall, sister!)

Some kind soul posted instructions on the net (sorry, i cannot remember who to credit!)
1. You should go through exit No. 2 of Apgujeong Station, Subway line 3(orange) and go along the street.
2. You should pass through intersection near SK gas station and pedestrian crossing.
3. After passing 2 blocks, you would find #35 wing of Hanyang APT(35 HY) in opposite side of the road and you would turn to right in front of Hana Bank (Green signboard).
4. You would find signboard of Mini Stop and go along the alley. You would find Kyochon Chicken/Shinhwa branch in right, in cater-corner of Mini Stop.
Wow, so many possibilities to heal the hunger all of a sudden!
Only problem is: how to pry me away from Gorilla!
Coz, guess what?
One of the secrets to maintaining Gorilla's status at the top of the pillar is...........their ability to continually re-invent themselves and not grow stale.
YJ-ssi, you're not playing fair at all!.......I haven't even had the chance to taste all that I've wanted to on your lengthy menu yet, and whaaaaaa?? You've changed the menu again??? So quick, lah!
Yeah, looks like on April 1st, they've rolled out yet another revised menu again. Can anyone remember how many this makes? This is at least the third version that I've personally seen.
Anyway, if you care to, you can browse through the GORILLA, restaurant link if you haven't been there lately.
You can even compare back to the original menu, on opening day if you want to double check its evolution :)
A lot of notable additions & reductions (where does he find the time??) - , but phew!!! thank goodness they had the sense to retain my favorite pasta dish. YJ-ssi, komawoyo!! my stomach says so! Anyway, you'll see that there's a lot more varied meat choices for one. They now serve lamb at Gorilla too? Wow.
And hee, I couldn't help but look for those "black" items that's so near and dear to JP-ssi's heart!
Anyway a parting thought to remind us of HRH's thoughtful ways:
To those Japanese-only speaking fans who had felt "left out" before, be very happy that you were on his mind all this time! I hear that huge booklet of a menu that they have just got "huger." Yep, the newest version has added Japanese translations just for you!
May I sneak in a parting "whine" as well?
OMA, when can I go there next?!!

11 comments:
ha! mishio midear, we two are more alike than i'd thought! i too have a list of places to eat at in seoul!
and yea, it's for my next trip! there's also this nice drinking place that i meant to check out, but didn't get the chance to... it's called granny's something... yea, i know it sounds all matronly, but it's supposedly a great place for girls to hang out and just chat and drink! i saw some pics of the place and i love it! it's like a dimly lit lounge with large sunk-in sofas and armchairs!
and... really? chanko has closed? i swear it was there when i went in december!
Hello, mishio;
Wow! Chanko already is out of business? They probably lost lots of money.
Btw, I read lots of compliments about GIK from locals when I surf the blogs of Koreans who visited GIK and those made me so happy when I read them. And I heard that Gosireh is not doing well. Is it true?
suehan
Hi bb,
oh wow! Us English reading/speaking folks have trouble reading the signs and finding good recommendations........Do share your list with us at some point!
Come to think of it, I should think before writing stuff down sometimes......RE: CHANKO - since I don't a webcam of Apgujeong/Gangnam, I only have the words of a group of fans to go on....
hi suehan,
learning what you have read about GIK from local blogs makes me happy too! I swear, when my friends and I were in Seoul, there were days when time just couldn't pass fast enough to get to dinnertime!
You know, I don't know much about the finances of restaurant management, but it must not be easy. I'm sure you've seen, as I have, that really popular restaurants, ones that are packed every night, will suddenly close due to bankruptcy. And then you'll see these kinda empty restaurants - they persist on year after year after year. I guess so many things go into the owners' decision - I know an aunt of mine kept a restaurant open eventhough she was in the red all the time, simply because it was her passion and also coz it was a good tax write off for her other businesses.
Anyway, I digress. Re: Gosireh...in my most recent communication with a fan in Japan, she told me that lunch reservations are still running a 3 week wait (at least) ...so I cannot imagine them doing too badly. Dinner res. loosens up considerably however due to significant cost differences as you know. But who knows really what's going on behind the scenes? No matter what, with the elaborate construction, etc, I'm sure he knows as a businessman that it'll take a bit of time to recoup the initial investment. I'm also sure that he'll probably be in for the long haul.
Haha - what a passage! sorry suehan, I am kinda wordy in the am after a night of not moving my mouth! :)
hello mishio!
For someone like me who has YET to visit Baeland, I enjoyed reading this post. BB has been kind enough to share her food experiences and I have taken notes for future reference.
Also currently watching "Sam Soon" again and thank you for mentioning the restaurant. I would not have known otherwise.
Foodies Unite!!
thanks for the info and good read!
wow, big words from vegas.
"YET" in capitals, huh? :)
I see something nice & wonderful in your horizon...
Trust me, I've got a stack of "976" psychic phone numbers sitting on me desk! :)
guten morgen mishio,
i’m quite tickled about your special note in yuor last post, kumawoyo mishio.
a quick update. after we boarded, the 1st thing was to check out the lotte dfs ad on the last page of the in-flight mags. doh, they’ve replaced his face with bi’s. only vaguely remembered reading that lotte has downgraded its 07 revenue forecast by 7.8% and
yj’s contract expired at the end of March. the thought that his multi story high billboard might no longer be hanging up at lotte is a little depressing.
it was late, so we decided to take a cab from the hotel to gik; the cab driver had to call the restaurant to confirm the location. on the way there, my younger son spotted kfc and said
“daddy can we have kfc?” (he loves junk food!).
“we are having kfg instead” said dad.
“what is kfg”?
“kentucky fried gorilla” (ok, okie, excitement factor of zero noted).
we were seated on the second floor. I was facing the small counter and the kitchen. Look who is standing behind the counter? it’s JP. he was pottering around in between the counter and the kitchen for a good 10-15 minutes. so i got up to ask him to share a photo with us. he was in a jolly good mood. he ruffled the kids’ hair, pleasantly putting on this body builder pose with his sleeve up highlighting his strong bicep. i did not realise how tiny he is in height (coz I’m taller standing next to him in my flat heels):).
the dishes were quite delicious. unfortunately they didn’t fully agree with the kid’s tastebuds. the staff were friendly, the lady in black (in charge i think) specially bought over a spare chair for us to hold our bags and coats.
after the meal, the staff called a cab for us, while waiting downstairs next to the check up glass room, i notice the glass walls were etched with big letters of C H E C K U P J P and a consultation schedule which JP is scheduled from mon-fri in the 19:30-20:30 & 20:30-21:30 time slots.
ah, i spotted the energy bars opposite the entrance, next to the stairs. There were 3 unpacked ones inside a cake stand and 3 wrapped ones. a few pieces the size of sugar cubes for taste testing. a sign of 3300 won each sign was displayed next to them :)
just before leaving, i was trying to picture bb & yokee coming in side by side wearing fat suits, and mishio, vegas, byjglobal etc sitting there as laughing spectators. em the entrance is wide enough. It will fit.
btw, so glad to see he is still up there on the billboard and on the driveway at lotte.
tschness, aus deutschland - cam
OH CAM! What a wonderful way this trip is starting out already!
I wish you can see the giant smile I have on my face while reading your passage! I am literally grinning from ear to ear hearing about your fun!
You know, JP-ssi is always oh-so-very-serious whenever I see him - your kids (& you!) sure did a wonderful number on him! I am so glad that he literally rolled up his sleeve and got down and had some fun with you all! I'm sure that makes up for KFG that the kids didn't warm up too much too, right?
Hee, the part about imagining us all out there was funny!
Anyway, wishing you ever more excitment ahead.
P.S. and pardon me but one day....when you have time.....please fill me in on the story behind the German okay? :)
cam!!!! pics!!!
p.s. thanks for remembering us :p
p.p.s. maybe next time you'll remember to actually bring us!
Oh Great One Mishio - pray tell what you see in those psychic phone books! I need to know when - tell me when I will get to Baeland. Please kind and wise one!
Wishing CAM lots of fun! And as bb said, pictures please!!
hi byjglobal,
sounds like you really enjoyed your Tea Loft experience, huh?
My impression of Tea Loft was unfortunately skewed by a late pm arrival, with almost everything I wanted to order having "run out."
Come to think of it, was it your entourage that came and left right before we did, eating up all the yummy stuff? :)
Ya, I gotta go back SOON to give some things a try - heehee
Post a Comment