Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Fine Dining Companion

If you'd ask me a few years ago, I'd tell you that she's a complete lunatic. I'd probably tell you that I would never be able to see eye to eye with her. I might even disprove of her impractical ways. You know, me being the human machine experiment, working around the clock, and her... let's just say she's a lucky early early retiree who is always looking for something fun to fill the void of the many hours of each day. I never have enough time. She may quite possibly be one of the few people in the world who has too much of it.

BYJ is the close to the only commonality we share. And surprising, that was all we needed to sustain this wonderful friendship we've developed.

Who, you ask? Oh - just one of the vast many kind souls in the family. Was not the first one I'd met. Definitely not the last.

With all the amazing stories and BYJ sightings this past week, quickly I find myself imagining (oh, how I remember...) all the rows and rows of human landscape that pile on just to catch a teensy little glimpse of him. These sightings being so few and far between nowadays, you'd think that when the opportunity arises, everyone would be out for themselves, right? Gone are the days that others would give newbies a little break? Soooo not true, as I've found out. That's how we met in Beijing. From the moment she selflessly made me stand in front of her to get a "better" chance of seeing BYJ up close, I knew we were gonna be good friends for a long, long time.

As usual, when I talk about some of the nice sisters I've met, I always get a little sidetracked and even become a little too gushy. To get back on track, I actually started this post coz I kinda want to tell ya a bit about her recent adventure in Korea. (Which one, you ask? Haha -she practically lives there now!)

So, what do Bae-sisters do when in Seoul? You name it. I don't think anyone needs me to review the necessary stops. But of course, GORILLA is never far from the top of the priority list.

So, on a mid-October night earlier this year, she and her pals sauntered in to GORILLA for some great eats. A nice relaxing end to a frantic day stomping on her feet everywhere. So, you know, it's the routine - she's sitting there nursing her tummy, enjoying good conversation and table hopping to greet some familiar sis she's met before.

OK, gals. If you are a gal, you know what happens next, right? Ya - somehow, some time, for some reason, a gal's always got to go to the CR. Or lavatory. Or whatever you call the ladies room in your part of the world.

So, Sis 1 was the first to start this funny business. Not long after she did what she did, she ran back franctically and announced excitedly, "Oh, I just know he's around."

Oh gosh - how many times have I heard that before? When you travel with a BYJ brat pack, it only happens at least once a day that someone will "just have a feeling" that he's nearby :)
I can't quite understand it yet - man, my radar sure is dull?? haha.
I still think it's all in the head cozI've never really see these predictions pan out.

Anyway - why was this time different? Coz any fan who is a real fan has developed sort of a bionic ear when it comes to our YJ's dear voice. Well, she has no idea from where, but she swore she just heard his sweet melody when walking back from the ladies room.
Huh?? Yeah right. With all that background music at Gorilla and everyone chatting merrily away, she heard him?? What? The bubbly must have been working its good deed.

Let me digress for a moment. Now, if you've ever gone on any kind of a BYJ mission, you know this. Not too different from the TSDB 24-7 sisters I described the last time, you realize that many sisters start seeing things that are not there and hear things that don't exist sometimes. A little sudden movement by the manager of the restaurant, and everyone starts thinking the impossible. The waiters' every action becomes calculated and over-interpreted. Like I said, it's all in the head. I guess that's the kind of hopeful thinking BYJ never ceases to inspire.

Serious theories become formulated too. Hot debates usually ensue. "I'll bet you he comes in through there when he visits." "No, I don't think so. He wouldn't be so conspicious - should be that way instead." "You think? But that's not close to the street, and he'd want to dash in, so not there, either." Et cetera.

Anyway, where was I?

My friend was next to excuse herself from the table. She, too, comes dashing back to the bathroom with excited news. (Seriously....what is the deal with bathrooms and epiphanies??? To think that people actually spend tons and tons of dough for decorators to come up with a "creativity-inspiring" space just to work. Maybe just hole up in the CR! hee)

"Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear."

"Oh die, die, die."

"Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat? Oh, just spit it out!"

"Die -lah, die-lah.......help..........I think YJ is here on a date."

Oh - what I'd give to see the blank/stunned/sunken expressions on these other ladies' faces! If you ever wondered how to convey that "Oh no, what do I do now?" with a facial expression, there you have it. Too bad I wasn't there (Sighhh...when will I feast at GORILLA?)

First - the denial: "No, no, no -no way. That's impossible. Are you sure?"
Then - the blame: "See ? I told you that we should come to GORILLA on the last day of our trip! See what you've done. I really don't care to know this......"
Next, of course - "boo hooo hooooooooooooooooo"


Of course, I'm just playing with them. No one shed tears. Just so you know - these ladies think of YJ-ssi more as their son, okay? Hee - Not what you think :)

It seems that near the direction where the supposed "voice" was heard, there was some VIP room where she too had heard some strangely familiar and beautiful voice while she walked by. I don't know if a waiter had just walked in to serve something or not, but she had better luck than Sis 1 this time, for the door was left slightly ajar. Now, it was just a split second as she walked by - she didn't linger or anything. But somehow, in that split second, through that little slit of a gap, she registered the image of the backside of an elegant appearing dining companion. (Ah....so that's how rumors get started!)

As expected, the mood at the sis' table had taken a drastic change - decidedly more dispirited now. Going through the mechanic motions of chewing and swallowing, they somehow make it through the dinner. Paid their bill. And packed up to leave.

Just then, the waiters start scurrying around. - Oh, who knows anymore? Probably just busy waiters doing their job? YJ-ssi certainly wouldn't be making a grand entry into the foyer with....ahem....his date.

Then the waiters form a line. ?Hmmmm? That's different.....

Then some elevator they never even noticed before opened, and oh my, my, my! There he is!!

Whee!! Everyone heads over! The human line of waiters don't stand a chance. It's not funny but it must've looked funny I guess. There weren't even that many fans ? a dozen maybe, according to my friend. But the ineffective human line kept inching forward to the point that BYJ was pretty much walking flush along the wall - more trouble than protection, it would seem.

YJ-ssi made his way somehow to the exit. Geez, how does he keep his smile and composure time after time after time like that???

Outside the restaurant, BYJ does much better without that human shield. Since there were just a handful of fans at that time, so he took his time greeting and shaking everyone's hand on the street. Gracious. Really really gracious of him, you know? She says this was exactly the same outfit he was wearing that night.

There, in one moment, everything was well again. Everyone forgot about everything before and smiles were beaming around. He really is quite the human band-aid, isn't he?
In his dark outfit and dark shades, under pitch black skies, he got into his very black Porshe and finally drove away, but not before waving again to his devoted fans.

Take home side lesson gals: eat those carrots. You need some good vision to be able to spot him with all that blackness, you know? :)

End of story? Not so fast.........
No one was around a bathroom at this time, but somehow at this moment, my pal had yet another epiphany.

"Oh-oh!"

She breaks into roaring,.....no, make that shrieking laughter.

Seems like "miss 20-20" here just thought of something when she watched BYJ walk off just now.

That silouette,
That back,
that lustruous long black hair!!!!

So, so familiar!

Silly girl!!!!! - there was no elegant dining companion afterall. BYJ was THE elegant dining companion she saw there in a flash. He owned that beautiful backside she saw!

Man! What a blunder. Now you know why I hadn't referred to her by name throughout this passage! Hahaha - still I guess that's really a tribute to the beauty of the man.

Beautiful outside. Beautiful inside. Beautiful from the front. Or the back!


Gotta say - bless her heart, my friend wasn't afraid to fess up to this little error! I'd probably be too proud. Or die from embarassment.

Now don't think they didn't go double-checking. After the elatement, they returned to GORILLA to grab whatever packages they had left behind. And certainly didn't miss the chance to set things straight.

According to restaurant employees, it turns out BYJ was conducting an interview for a managerial position or something or rather that night. (What???!! Where do I apply?)

More importantly,

Yes,

the applicant was ........ A MAN!

See, I told ya - she's such the lunatic! But a fun one at that!
:)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha mishio,

I think your friends are totally cute for having such vivid imagination and can devise a dating scenario from a slit vision in a nanosecond! What cracked me up is their instantaneous dispirited reaction to this yet-to-be-proven theory and decided to leave the crime scene. They're just adorable (and a bit curious, may I add?)!

Well, at least we know Bae sisters will not have alzehmeirs cause our minds are always active imagining his whereabouts and so quick to react to our surroundings.

Now, can you tell me where you find these sisters who seem to have the best fortune of 'bumping' into Yong Joon all the time? I remember that 'Manager Yang stumbled out of the elevator' episode is yours too, right?

mishio said...

Hi jaime
Happy Thanksgiving!

Yeah, you nailed it - overactive imagination is right! The emotional roller-coasters these sisters put you through are quite fun but at the same time hazardous to your blood pressure too! Still, I just love spending time with them!

Actually, I only know a handful(a very very small handful)of Bae-sis, and I've only had 2 stories to tell, ya know...
Us being so far away in "never-land"...whenever I hear some story worth telling, I guess I can't help but want to share it with the English reading sis.

And oh - how I wish I was the one watching Mgr Yang stumble out! That was a lucky Japanese sis. Haha - with bb's permission, I'd like to have been the one to catch him! :)

bbmag said...

wow, what luck!

think you and i.... same... i never seem to get that radar or mine working. i never 'felt' he was near or anything like that.

and... haha, maybe i ain't as obsessed as him as i'd thought. even when in korea, i don't really imagine he popping up from all corners. unless i was actually somewhere watching out for him, knowing he would appear, i probably wouldn't even be thinking about him as i walk along the streets of seoul. hee, maybe i just can't believe i would be so lucky :p

bbmag said...

and no, mishio, catching yang is my business :p

tiffany said...

mishio... glad to see you 'back in action'. ^^

Please continue with your bloggings... it puts a smile on my face.

And good luck! I just heard.... hehe!

HeippieH said...

Dear mishio, is this my first time commenting? bb lead me to here, wow, nice post! Baeutiful!

h.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mishio -enjoyed your writing- at least they got to see him!

Toujours_BYJ said...

Hi mishio
As Tiff has said, I'm glad to see you back on action again.

Ps : mishio, bb will never give permission to anyone to catch 'her Yang man", so stop dreaming gal.

mishio said...

bb-ah!

Mr Yang is so tall and big, he'll topple over you if he falls on you! C'mon lah - let me help?? :)

mishio said...

tiff-
thanks for the nice encouragment and wishes -now back at you, girl! Go, go, go!

mishio said...

hi heippieh!
Thanks for coming by - I recognize your name well! See ya around!

mishio said...

hello surya-
Yes, you are right. It is always a treasure to see him - anytime, anywhere, under any circumstances, no matter how far or how limited the duration! They were surely lucky!

mishio said...

hey there camille -
thanks for kind words.
you really don't think bb will share? Maybe I can outrun her or something with my 2 short leg stumps - kekeke :)